The best EQUESTRIAN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Buckeye Camping Reviews
Lovely views, big sites

Each campsite (in Loop A) is large and spacious and the views are epic. It’s March and we are one of maybe 5 campers.

Beautiful Spot in the Woods But Choose Site Carefully

Great October stay here. Scenic spot nestled in the woods and yet conveniently close to town. It’s a big campground though and many of the sites seem to be tightly spaced. Seems the outer rim sites are more spacious than inner. Suspect our experience would have felt differently on that inner rim.

Access to the lake is convenient and super scenic to mention nothing of canoeing and kayaking and swimming opportunities.

Nice spot, but I prefer the walk to Long Lake campsites

Right by kidd lake. More amenities than Long Lake sites, but not quite as remote/pretty

Hidden jem

I guess it’s a 5 minute uphill walk from the PCT and is hidden (plus not on PCT maps) so it’s relatively unused for non-locals. Always find something fun here left behind. 8 bunks. Some counter space. Wood. And a nice privy

Ate some grubb at this hut

Also… got rid of some grubb here too. Nice bathroom. Fun historical place a nice hike away from Castle Peak and far enough away that you don’t get the crowds. Kitchen, firewood, fireplace, and a bunch of bunks

Roughing it in nature

Great place for friends and family to meet. Much nicer with a higher water level.

Nice dispersed camping

I stayed at a super campground on a forest road turn off. There were a couple of other spots taken, but it was off the beaten path and very quiet. I was able to watch the sunset from some rocks across the road. Very nice for a quiet night of solitude and hearing there wind through the trees while falling asleep.

Gorgeous and Relaxing

This is a really nice looking campground. I was lucky it wasn’t too crowed and the people staying were all respectful. There is a cool lake right there on site just a short walk to it. They have bathrooms and showers. No cell service, but close to a main road where service can be found.

Quiet, nice pool area, many cycling opportunities

I brought both my mtb and road bike. On my mtb I followed Badger Hill Rd which is a gravel road that gradually descends 500 ft over 2.5 miles through the forest then turned right onto a trail just prior to a bridge crossing a creek.  The trail follows the creek for awhile before it looped back to the campground. 34 mile round trip road bike ride passes many Apple Hill farms and uses a nice paved bike trail into Placerville. Routes to Jenkinson Lake also an option.

Camp here twice.

We live close by so going to camp in Sly Park, seems weird. However, I have had at least two kids camping trips here. Sly Park lake is great! We love kayaking on it, especially to the waterfall. It has vault toilets and they are pretty clean. I like that Chimney is close to the water however, this location really does not have a beach. It can be quite busy at times as it is also a day use area.