Equestrian
About Niobrara State Park
Niobrara State Park is located in Nebraska
13 Reviews of Niobrara State Park
Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.

Awesome

Stayed at campsite through Sharps Outfitters and kayaked as well. Awesome trip very pretty!!

Beautiful scenery, plenty of activities and history!

We stayed in our camper on the RV campground. I like that the RV's are not so close together! It qlwas quiet, scenic, lots of things to do. People genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. Lots of animal sightings, birds, and wild flowers, etc. You can get a real feel for the country out here. The ONLY drawback is needing quarters for a shower….but they do have a change machine.

beautiful and scenic

must go back! so much history in the fort part of the park, swell kept campsites down river and lots of hiking!

One of the best Getaways!

While this is off the beaten path, it is worth the drive time. Rolling Sandhills, beautiful rivers, great camping, hiking, swimming, etc. This is such a peaceful place with so much ground to cover. We plan on going back just to see more of the park!

Beautiful views

We are usually tent campers but stayed in a cabin this trip which worked out well because as the sun went down the mosquitos came out and they were ferocious. The cabin was very nice and we were allowed to bring our dogs. We were there the first day the pool opened for the year so the water was very cold but we had so much fun. We did some hiking and a lot of bike riding. Being there during the week so early in the season we missed all of the activities that they have on weekends but enjoyed having the park to ourselves. This park is out of the way so probably doesn't get as much traffic as some other parks. We will definitely go back some day.

Niobrara state park

This park has great views, plenty of site choices, and clean bathrooms. Park overlooks the confluence of the Niobrara river and the Missouri River. There was an old train bridge turned into a hiking trail, very cool being so close to the river. Tented in an Adirondack shelter which was great cover from wind and rain.