The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
South Bend , NEBRASKA

Most Recent South Bend Camping Reviews
Some of the Best Hiking in Southeast NE

I love Platte River State Park; there are accommodations for every type of camper - cabins, RV, privative - hell they even have teepees!

On top of the excellent camping offered, they have a wealth of amazing hiking / biking trails that traverse through some amazing scenery. Just like the camping, you can pick between the less intensive paved walkways or you can walk along the hilly bluffs that contour the Platte River.

Not Bad - Depending on How Busy It Is

Not a bad lake to camp at; offers decent fishing, decent kayaking, and a swim beach. You may run into lots of party-folk depending on when you come here.

Good cell service; on Sprint I can get 4G and Sprint sucks so you should be good in that regard. Can get some really pretty lakeside spots if you get there early!

Higher rating but closed for now

This lake is one of the very few in Omaha that offers camping. And definitely of all types rv, and tent. But let me give you a disclaimer of why this is a 3 star. First the park is closed due to them draining it because of zebra mussels. Also I still feel weird about camping in a city, but that's my hang up. This place has always been well maintained, and offered a lot of amenities. They also offered rental boats for the lake, a really nice walking trail, and fishing. But for now we will have to wait to see what the improvements are going to be and how the lake turns out. More information to come later.

Mahoney review

My buddies and I rented cabin in the area. Lots of options when it comes to cabins tent areas and RV pads. There is enough here to keep you busy for a long time my favorite is the eagles nest you can see miles down the river. If you have a family I would strongly recommend a visit. Might be biased due to having a bunch of birthday parties here growing up but it’s one of my favorite places to take my son. Photos are taken from river looking at Mahoney.

Love, hate

I have a love, hate relationship with this park. There are things I like, and things I don't like. There is plenty of things to do. Swimming and slides at a pool, paddleboats, fishing at some spots, bicycle rentals, ziplines, rock climbing, and other similar activities. However there are no tent camping, and the spots are not level, and are small. The place to me is not relaxing and not quiet, and everytime I have been there it is always packed. I will say I am probably to only in my family that feels this way. So if your more of an outdoors men type of person you probably will feel the same way I do. But I would not dismiss the idea of going to this park.

Been going here since I was a kid

First off let me start by saying, I have been going here since I was very little. So I may just have soft spot for this place. But I have always had a fun time here. Whether I was riding a bike around the paved roads. Fishing in one of the sandpit lakes they have to offer, or the river. Walk around the nature trails, or lakes. Or swimming in the swimming area, or wading in the Platte River. I have alway felt at home at this park. It's always clean, and quiet in frequent visits we have had. They offer tent, and rv camping either off the lakes or river. They have a day use area for the river where you can go and visit in the day or picnic. They also have old remodeled Union Pacific caboose you can stay in.

A beautiful lake just west of Lincoln ne

Pawnee is a lake that offers the ability of various water and other activities. There are the obvious acitivies for the water. Such as fishing, all types of motor boats, jet skies, all types of water skiing and tubing. I did see numerous kayaks at campsites I passed by as well. But kinds seemed to have to rough of water for a novice like me. There are also a couple swimming beaches, nature trails, horse shoe pits, and a disc golf course. I want to say that the trails are used for hikers, bikers, and horseback riders, because I saw a couple road apples. Honestly that don't bother me because I watch were I step, due to some parks I have visited have venomous snakes on The trail. The campsites for tents did have some shade for lake camping. The rv park seems to be fairly close together, but that could be common because I am a tent camper and don't pay attention that close. There is a horse camp on The other end of the lake west side that has corals in it. I would say that Pawnee is a definite a stop even for a day trip for outdoor or nature enthusiasts. Especially sense it's just out side west of Lincoln.

Reserve!

The camp office personnel are a bit annoying and don’t seem to want to help you much. You probably could get more help by visiting the cashier at the small camp store. We had a reservation, but the site was terrible crowded. We asked the office if they could move to a more secluded spot and they were not accommodating at all. It’s a rip off if you have to cancel your reservation. You also have to pay for the state park fees which is absurd!

Next to river

Riverside is a primitive campground so no electric available. There are fire pits and picnic tables at every site with ample space. There is also a playground and access to the Platte River. This campground fills up fast so you Igor wanna reserve ahead of time.

Small

This is a small campground a little ways before you get to lakeside campground. These spots are electric with fire pits and picnic tables. It is near the road and the dump station is in view. There is sometimes a line of campers at the dump station. I prefer bigger campgrounds but would stay there if things were full.