Water Unknown
About Red Shale Campground & Geocache Site

A campground on the Ashland Ranger District.

Camp sites: 14

Trash Pickup: No

Firewood: No

No Reservations: This campground does not use a reservation system, it is managed on a first-come, first-served basis. Be aware the campground may fill up on weekends & holidays during the summer months and you should arrive in the early afternoon to ensure there is a space available for the night. There is a 10 day stay limit.

Information:
Ashland District Office
Box 168, Hwy 212
Ashland, MT 59003
(406) 784-2344

National Forest
Red Shale Campground & Geocache Site is located in Montana
Directions
From Ashland, MT go 6 miles east on US 212. Campground will be on your left.
4 Reviews of Red Shale Campground & Geocache Site
Great!

It’s a really convenient little spot to stop and sleep in the pines along a trip but expect noise from the highway.

Hammock

Stayed here overnight in both July and November. Sites are on a first come first serve basis but I was able to find a site both times. Plenty of trees for hammocks and a good pad for tents. Huge picnic table at each site.

Easy National Forest camping near Ashland, Montana

Free National Forest campground in Custer National Forest. Sites include large picnic table and fire ring. Pit toilets available for use. The campground is right off of 212 about 6 miles east of the town of Ashland. We were just passing through for the night and this offered a quick, convenient place to crash. There is a fair amount of road noise due to the close proximity of the road. Campground is popular on the weekends but we had no problem finding a site.

A peaceful place we could stay a second night at. Oh wait, we did!

I was looking to split up the drive on my trip and found this perfect stopover with a classic Montana feel. It’s an unexpected find on a long straight road but I’m so glad that we stopped. A ranger happened to be cutting the grass when we arrived. She was very helpful - I was nervous about the rattlesnake warning. She said she hasn’t seen one this year but watch out for poison ivy (and it was hidden in the brush). She pointed us to a good site and went about her work.

14 campsites in 2 loops with 3 vault toilets. There is also a picnic area if you just want a lunch spot. The loops gave our dog the perfect amount of walking before wanting a water break just when we got back to the site. We didn’t find much else here other than peacefulness.

Each site has the biggest picnic table I’ve seen. They are 12 feet long! Pine trees provide some shade so pick the right place. Our site looks like we will get shade at the end on the night and early morning. It is free of nearby poison ivy so ‘thanks for watching out for our dog, ranger!’

Everything is so well maintained. The views are perfect. The breeze keeps us cool.

A stay here doesn’t even cost you - it’s free! I thought we would have the place to ourselves but a couple on holiday from England joined us for both nights. It’s that great of a find.