Orell , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Orell Camping Reviews
My Old Kentucky Home State Park Campground

This campground was our Maiden Voyage with our brand new 20201 Jayco Jay Flight 294QBS (35ft Bumper to Tongue).

We arrived late in the evening, so that added a bit of added difficulty into getting the trailer parked.

We stayed on site 25. It was a hilly site (didn't know this when booking) that had some pretty terribly placed trees for backing in a trailer. Luckily, the hubs is pretty awesome at backing a trailer and eventually got her in.

Because of the hill, leveling the TT was a task. We had to have the tongue nearly 4 ft from the ground. Thankfully, there was a Lowes near buy to go buy wood to level her better.

The campsites are really close together. Thankfully the spaces on either side of us were empty during our stay, our it would have been a bit crowded.

Make sure you have long Electric Cords and an extra long water hose, because they're not as close to the sites as it mentions on the website.

There is only one dump location and it was a zoo come check out time.

The only time I saw any actual staff at the campground was the girl going around taking down reservation slips Sunday Morning.

There is WIFI (supposedly) but we never found anyone to get the password.

Beautiful part of KY, and lots to do

This campground is in a beautiful part of Kentucky. The town of Bardstown has a lot to do and  number of great restaurants.

The campsite was great for our 34 ft class A, with 30A and water at the site. The site slope was moderate but easily leveled the motorhome.

A golf course is onsite, but a car is necessary to see the surrounding area. Visited a number of distilleries and just enjoyed the countryside.

A nice FOB

I used this location as my FOB for a weekend of hiking in southern Indiana. The campground was nice. Being the first weekend in April, the water wasn’t turned on so there were no modern restrooms/shower houses available. I’d say the camp was 30% capacity over the weekend, relatively quiet in the evenings with light road traffic. The gate staff were exceptional, suggesting a much better sight than I had registered for online.

Great place to take kids

The history is enough to make you want to come back. Feels like you stepped back in time. Gotta play the song at least once a day. Enjoy the clean amenities and revel in the history over a late night camp fire.

Nice quiet lake

Nice lake with outboard motors allowed. We enjoyed the water with out listening to the motors. They are not turning on water until April 15. The campground has some nice spots with cabins and areas for people with horses. Not to big but not to small.

Excellent family camping

One of my family's favorite places to go camping. Tons of room for the kids to roam and explore, so many playgrounds they're almost a tripping hazard, and free firewood. We like camping in "Deer Lake" #s 405-408 and "Timberlake" #s 315-318. (Deer Lake is electric, Timberlake is not.)

Water spigots are plentiful, and the campground has maybe a dozen large pavilions you can reserve for free, or scurry into in case of a pop up shower. I've already mentioned the playgrounds, and in addition there's a waterfall, old steel bridge with a connected spiral staircase, and even a village of tiny houses. They recently installed a BMX track, but made the mistake of using large gravel to "pave" it--it's too soft and nearly impossible to ride on quickly.

The only real knock I can give the place is that the sites are REALLY small, and some are not so level--I strongly advise you get at least two to gain separation from your neighbors. They're also sticklers about the numbers of tents on each site--they'll allow more than one but WILL make you pay for each. Sites are not prepped (no tent pads), and have no fire rings so prepare accordingly.

There is a decent creek (Little Blue) and a pond (Deer Lake) you can fish, but I've never managed to pull anything bigger than a small sunfish from the creek, and I've never seen anyone pull anything at all from Deer Lake, including myself. Deer Lake does provide excellent sunsets across the water though.

Overall, with the free firewood and all of the features to occupy the kids, this place is a winner for families. If they'll start giving campers a little more room and would improve the sites a little, it would be perfect.

Great Park

One of our favorite spots to camp. Beautiful trails for hiking, great creek for swimming, close to Louisville.

Peaceful tent camping.

In Hoosier National Forest. Clean, quiet, uncrowded. Friendly manager.

Small, wooded site

Very small campground and narrow roads. Many sites were not level and some sites were very short so make sure you review the site description.

Also some had sewer hook ups and others did not.

You did feel like you were in the woods so that was a plus.

Walmart and McDonalds were half a mile away.

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!