Symerton , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Symerton Camping Reviews
Great Hiking but the Campsite is Hit or Miss

We visited the first weekend in November so we still had some leave to peep. The weather was unusually warm and beautiful so we were able to hike both days of our visit but it was packed with people who had the same idea. Also, as we left the park to go to our campsite (around 2 PM) the camp was getting a rush of afternoon hikers. The place is busy!!!

The campsite itself is off the State Park premises,which isn’t bad since it’s not swarmed park attendees not spending the night. It has an electrical hookup on each campground for RVs. There is also a bathroom with running showers and toilets, pretty nice. And there is a camp store (which is currently closed for the season). The campsites themselves vary in size and fire station. Our campsite was a little small but if you want fully forested campsites I suggest you keep your choices between #s 30 and 100.

We had a blast, the state park itself was fantastic, plenty to see. Starved Rock and the other peaks were fantastic and Wildcat Canyon was a sight to behold. Illinois Canyon is huge and worth the visit. I understand that with the spring runoff there are many waterfalls to behold. We plan on coming back then. Great place to camp!!!

Beautiful Campground

If you want more trees and privacy stick to the east loop if you want more flat land that is easy to drive up and camp, go to the west loop. The Camp store is cute but tiny. There is also a vending machine by the bathhouse and a 24/7 wood vending machine by the camp store.

3 state parks are within a 5-10 minute drive making early morning hiking very easy. Welcome to the Disney Land of outdoors!

The campground itself is off of Starved Rock’s main entrance but we think it’s perfect because I don’t need that much traffic with cars and people constantly walking/driving by. I do wish there were walking trails off the campground though.

Nice, quiet little place

We stayed here for a weekend. It's a nice place. Campsites are flat. The water hookups are kind of far from the individual sites (make sure you have extra hose).

Expensive RV park for non-residents

Not worth the drive here to tent camp if you live outside of Kane county. Even their 9 hike-in primitive sites hugging the treeline lack privacy. Yes, all the sites are very flat. It's a nice field if that's what you look for in a campground.

Easy access camping in beautiful area

The campground has easy access for trailers, tents, and rvs. The shower/bathroom facility is good, but there is only one and I’ve seen this park get really busy. Campsites can be woooded or open.

Beautiful State Park

The park is beautiful with trails through canyons and lots of history. Many of the sites are wooded with decent privacy. The facilities are clean but in bad need of updating. I like that it’s short get away from Chicago.

Big sites!

Nice campground with big, level sites. Even though they don’t take reservations, there is plenty of space and availability. Lovely grasslands, ponds, hiking trails, but the lack of trees and privacy isn’t my preference. Still great option not far from Chicago.

Decent campground, not well maintained or cleaned

Overall a decent place to stay.  We didn't experience the noise some reviewers did, but there's not much in between sites on the western loop.  Trees surround the loop, and it appears the eastern look has more secluded sites.  My biggest complaint was the sites don't appear to be well maintained, and previous campers didn't do a good job of cleaning up after themselves.  Lots of plastic bottle tops, small pieces of paper towel, etc were all over the place.  Too bad since it's an otherwise nice place.

Starced Rock is a gem in Illinois but shady people at campground

I think this place attracts a lot of junkies and drunks.

Can get noisy at night.

Very little shade, but great mountain bike trails

We stayed here for two nights recently. This is our second time staying at this campground…we also stayed here in 2019. Our camp site was #2. For the most part, all of the 30/50 amp sites are very similar. Can't really say one appears to be better than the rest. Sites # 4 and 5 probably have the longest length parking pad. I believe this is a relatively newer campground. There is NO shade during the day. None at all due to the trees within the campground being small. There are two bath/shower houses. I would rate them at a 4/5…not the best we've seen, but by far not the worst. Our son was playing in a youth hockey tournament nearby so the location was perfect for us. We aren't huge into bike trails, but we did bring our bikes after I read about the trail systems. The mountain bike trails were awesome. If you're a trail rider, you must stay here. The lack of shade won't matter because you'll be riding all day. There are miles and miles of trails. We saw several vehicles carrying top of the line bikes in and out all day. We had a blast riding our bikes.

I'm giving Camp Bullfrog Lake 4 out of 5 stars. The lack of shade trees and the high cost per night took away the fifth star. We paid $122.00 for two nights.