Standard (Tent/RV)
Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 70 ft.
Ferne Clyffe is located in Illinois
19 Reviews of Ferne Clyffe
There were several hiking trails that looked pretty, but we didn't get a chance to walk them. Overall, this is a nice and quiet campground. We would definitely stay again. We camped at Ferne Clyffe State Park in a Motorhome.

Fern cliff

This place is really great. Hiking and camping get an a+

Just an easy going stay

Not a lot of tent sites, but enough. Nice wooded primitive sites with easy access to water and toilets. Had my pups with, and no problems at all. Nice trails for different hiking skill sets. Only issue I found at all was firewood is surprisingly difficult to come by.

Quiet

I stayed at Ferne Clyffe on a weekend in July 2020. I used this park as a base camp for exploring Shawnee National Forest and the Cache River Preserve. There’s a lot of outdoor things to do in this area. Ferne Clyffe is small. There’s one campground for RVs with electric hookups and another campground for more primitive camping. $8/night for primitive. The primitive sites require that you park your vehicle and carry in your equipment (less than 100 feet). You can pull your vehicle right up to sites 11 and 19. There were very few campers there when I visited. There is cellphone signal. Small fishing lake and a few hiking trails. Shower has at the electric campground. Pit toilets.

Very RV heavy

I actually didn't end up camping here because it looked like a rock site. I maybe saw two tents, everyone else in big RV's. If you are doing tent camping I would look elsewhere. I might've missed an area that was more tent friendly but I didn't see it. I would do primitive with a tent probably.

One of my favorites!

I love Ferne Clyffe State Park - the walk up primitive sites are secluded, wooded, and within a pit toilet and water source. Make sure you take time to explore the waterfall and other short trails nearby.

Great spot close to lots of interesting hikes and parts of Shawnee National Forest

Great covered spots, trails to and from the campground all across the park, great personnel, accessibility throughout the park, scenic locations within a mile walk from the campground (Ferne Clyffe Waterfall)

Good spot deserves 4 1/2 stars

Had very nice trails, very clean. Forest is beautiful. We camped at the primitive area spot 11. Spots are pretty dam close to each other. There is camping you can walk off to. We stayed for 1 night at the Turkey Ridge, so we stayed closer to the parking. Was only 1 other group camping on a Wednesday. There are “out houses” close by. Although they were pretty bad my buddy said “storm of flies came shooting out the hole like a tornado.” So I do agree they deserve some slight repercussion for the lack of cleanliness. All and all a great area to camp. A great hidden gem!

Soo nice

On arrival, the electric wouldn’t work. Apparently a breaker was involved. Camp host fixed it. We stayed 3 nights and it was awesome.

Rock climbing and backpacking

Ferne Clyffe State Park is in the Shawnee National Forrest near Goreville, IL., south of Carbondale. There are several limestone bluffs, great for climbing, naturally forested woodlands, cliff caves, and several small waterfalls. There are several campgrounds: modern, primitive, youth groups, backpack or equestrian. Shower facilities are available at some campgrounds. Some campsites can be reserved online at www.reserveamerica.com

There are also equestrian trails, hiking, and fishing.

Year 2021 Flag