No Fires
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Upper Chattahoochee River

CLOSED FOR WINTER SEASON Group Campsite no longer available - day use only. The drive up through the winding misty roads of North Georgia leading to this 34-site, developed campground is almost as breath-taking as the site itself. Although the drive leaves one feeling as if civilization has been left far, far behind, the ever popular and beloved alpine village of Helen, Georgia is less than a half hour away. Camping here, visitors can enjoy the pleasure of Georgia’s number one vacation spot with shopping, dining, and entertainment in the city of Helen and recreational activities such as camping, hiking, biking, and fishing in the campground. Visitors should keep an eye out for the interpretive information available on the Chattahoochee River Watershed and how the river affects water usage for Georgia, Alabama, and Florida, posted upon entering the campground area.

National Forest
No Electric Hookups
No Fires
Not Reservable
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
Upper Chattahoochee River is located in Georgia
Directions
Physcial Address: 48 Forest Service Rd. 44, Helen, GA Take Georgia 75 north from Helen for approx. 8 miles. Just beyond mile marker 15 turn left onto the graveled Chattahoochee River Road and follow for 5 miles.
6 Reviews of Upper Chattahoochee River
Dispersed Camping above Upper Chattahoochee

I admit, I'm not a fan of most established campgrounds - the "official" campground is $16/night. It has potable water. Opens April -October. Sites vary from tent-walk-in, to some spots that are spacious and more private to others tiny, out in open with little shade in summer. Some sites are along the creek. I walked thru the closed campground to access Horse Trough Falls in March - a lot of trees had come down, so the FS had been chopping up the trees - many sites had lots of wood piled up!

However, if you are a bit more rustic, there are a number of dispersed sites before you get to the Upper Hooch. Bring your own tables, water - but there are large (free!) spaces to camp.

Regardless, be bear aware. I saw 2 cubs and fresh scat on my last visit. They ran from me - but no need in tormenting them.

Get away from it all!

Found this wonderful spot and was lucky enough to get in because it was a weeknight. The only reason I gave rating of 4 is because some persons may not like this nearly primitive camping - but I love it! You can actually get away! We saw 2 other persons the night we camped in passing. WE are light packers from long time experience backpacking and found the perfect spot. Was a little buggy in the woods so we stayed closer to the water - but wow! Best midweek camping ever for us!

Dispersed Camping in Upper Chattahoochee River Area

I hope that writing this is ok - we had to work really hard when we moved to GA to find camping like this. This is supposed to be for the Upper Chattahoochee River Campground, but we have spent quite a few weekends discovering all of the wonderful dispersed camping in that area. All along the river and its branches are some neat dispersed camping opportunities if you like that kind of camping. We usually have to clean up a bit before we set up camp - as always, some people don't appreciate the amazing gift of being able to camp in places like this.

Awesome!!

My fiancé and I LOVE it here! We try to camp here every couple of months! We were there this past weekend and had the most amazing time! It's secluded, peaceful, and just what we needed! 🏕

So cool!

It was interesting to see a little bit of history that occurred on the Appalachian Trail we got to see some petroglyphs as well as many other historic sites along the way very cool place to visit if you are into American history and natural history

Upper Chattahoochee River Campground

This campground is a first come, first camp campground, no reservations. I love the seclusion of it, tucked deep in the Chattahoochee. There are a few campsites along the water. Facilities consist of a hand pump/flush toilet and water well, no showers. You can also find hiking trails, including a short hike to a beautiful waterfall. The campground will fill up on holidays and summer weekends. If you manage to get up there early enough, there are several free campsites along the gravel road going down to the official campground. These sites are a gem for people who love secluded camping. You'll have to pack everything in though, including your drinking water.

Don't expect any cell service once you pass Helen and head up the mountain.