About Donner Memorial State Park
Donner Memorial State Park is located in California
11 Reviews of Donner Memorial State Park
Beautiful!

We loved this place! Hard to get reservations. Big spaces! Great trails! A lot to do!

Like a Norman Rockwell painting.

The lake is an iconic alpine lake nestled in the Sierra Nevada’s. Sugar pine and Lodgepole pines dot the campgrounds and birds are plentiful. There are giant pine cones scattered everywhere and woodpeckers can be heard throughout the morning. This is a great spot for families or folks looking for something right on the lake. There is a somewhat wind sheltered creek with picnic spots available that is great for kids or beginner paddleboarders who need to get started out of the wind. Along the lakeshore there are beautiful old wood stoves for cooking. It gets crowded and the dog friendliness is marginal. The lake is slightly chilly but a great swim on a hot day. The campground has bathrooms and there is a visitor center with a museum and gift shop. Reservations fill up in the summer, for weekends especially.

Beauty and quiet just minutes from the hustle and bustle

This campground offered everything I needed and nothing I did not. My tent site was perfect. The lake was absolutely stunning. I rented a kayak and took a lovely paddle enjoying the serenity and beauty of the High Sierras. Around my campfire, I could here birds singing and wind blowing through the trees. The funny thing is that just down the road is the thriving tourism of Truckee, CA. When I wanted to be social, I went there and had an amazing time too.

Family Friendly With Lots to Do

Donner Memorial has three camps within this large campground. Two of them have quick walking access to the lake. One is situated between. Most campsites are large. Kids age 0-99 rule the day as there are boulders all around for to climb, a lake to swim in, trails to hike and paved loops for riding bikes. The interpreter center is informative.

Excellent

Very nice campground that is very close to the lake. And when you've had enough lake, don't forget to drive up to Donner Ski Ranch, the drive is spectacular!

Lake access, trails, amenities, State Park, Museum/Vis Center Fun!

Reservable sites, larger campground. Showers, trails, Visitor's Center and Museum, great access to Donner lake, boat rental concessions right there. Ranger programs. This is a really fun family campground suitable for tents or trailers/RVs. You can swim, picnic, boat, see eagles hunting, close to Truckee. So many things to do in the area. Close to Lake Tahoe. Fun Cycling too.

great place for groups

what have Church camp here almost every summer. it's a great place for each family to have their own space but also be close enough to spend time together! not to mention the fishing on donner is great

One of the best in the state

Great place to camp. Close to Truckee so you can easily get supplies. Lots of trees give a private feel even though it is a busy campground. Good sized camp sites for the most part (I recall one loop has smaller ones) and bear boxes that will hold your cooler no problem. Showers, too. RV, tent, group, boat-in sites all available here.

Just a short walk to the lake and there are easy walking trails. There is a nice museum/visitor center and lots to do in the area.

Clean, secluded, beautiful.

Great campground. We were in a large site and had pleasant neighbors. The restrooms were SUPER clean with flush toilets and hot showers. Short walk to Donner Lake and Donner Museum. There is a small store near the campground, but it doesn't offer much in the way of cooking real meals, just snacks. We did venture forth to a hardware store when we discovered our gas cooking stove had a broken valve. Lots of choices but $$. We made due with cooking over the campfire. Moutain region with cool breezes and warm days in summer (we went in July), but pleasant for sleeping at night. Hot tent during the day! Great pizza place in Truckee if you want to go out for a meal at Village Pizza. Some of the best pizza I have ever eaten, but be prepared to wait a but, but pleasant atmosphere. We are going back in September and will review again. Oh, also GREAT breakfast place nearby The Squeeze Inn … call ahead for breakfast as the waits can be long.

Great One Night Stop

We are traveling to Idaho and stopped here for the night. I am in a wheelchair so we had a handicap sight. All the sights were clean and had nice fire pits with a grill grate. Close to the 80 freeway but the noise wasn't bad. Definitely coming back to camp here and explore!