the dyrt
National Forest
Clear Creek is located in Bankhead National Forest in Alabama
7 Reviews of Clear Creek
Pristine and enjoyable

Stayed one night this week in my 16 ft camper. Campsites spread out so you have shaded privacy near magnificent Smith Lake. Downside is they close December to March. Large showers in very clean bathrooms. Very nice camp staff.

Our favorite local campground

Private and secluded! All spots r shady. Great level campsites..all campsites r gated. Nice swimming area. Great hiking and waterfalls on the most beautiful lake in the US!

Bankhead Forest

White sand aroundswimming area. Pavilion is rentable for gatherings. Very nice place. Usually crowded

Love

It mainly has single units some you can see the water from but can't so easily access the water from. Pavilions for rent are $35 and very well worth it for a family gathering. It is a wonderful and peaceful place just wish it was more waterfront camping/picnicking.

Clear Creek is off the beaten path.

Large spacious sites, quite, and clean.

You can fix nd a site to satisfy almost anyone. Lots of sites on the water. If you prefer seclusion, try the upper grounds. You will see deer in the morning and are likely to have a visitor, raccoons, during the night.

Friendly staff, well maintained, and very peaceful.

Not a bad place for a weekend

I've camped here twice. Once in one of the group tent areas and once in an on the water spot. The group tent area had plenty of room (no power or water) but the bathroom was very close. The only issue I had with that spot was that the staff told visitors to park in our area and we had loud people dropping off and collecting their vehicles all hours of the night and car lights shining in our tents waking us up. The site itself was very nice and the only people nearby would be if the other group spot was rented also. The water camp spots aren't exactly on the water but for $50/night (very high to me) they have water and electric. The sites are a decent size but they are very close together. Same issue with people not respecting quiet time. The swim area is nice with ample shade and lots of room for swimming. The boat docking area is a decent size and perfect for unloading kayaks. I doubt that I'd return to this campground simply for the lack of enforcement of quiet time.

Beautiful Clear Creek

This particular creek is one of my favorite canoeing destinations, as I grew up paddling along this river at summer camp. As an adult, it's been fun to return and spend time actually camping in the Bankhead National Forest. While I don't enjoy the heat and humidity the south has to offer in the summer months, this area provides well shaded sights and the cool water to keep the heat at bay.

This isn't a terribly busy camping area (I've never felt crowded here) and there are 102 sites ranging anywhere from $19-$38/night. Another highlight, unlike many USFS camping facilities this one has flush toilets! Not that there's anything wrong with vault toilets but flushing ones are nice!

If you find yourself in or around the Jasper area, take a moment to explore this national forest and why not spend a night or two in the woods while you're at it!

This campground is not open year round. It's season is early March-late October.