About Hawk Recreation Area
No WiFi
Hawk Recreation Area is located in West Virginia
2 Reviews of Hawk Recreation Area
Great Location for New River Gorge Climbing

Good jumping off point to do some rock climbing at the New. Close to food, store, and other locations. Tons of stuff to do around the area!

A nice spot to get a little off the grid a couple hours outside DC.

I only stayed one night, but plan to return for a longer stay as it was peaceful and scenic. The campground is free, open from late April through December, and campers may stay up to 21 days. However, there are no online reservations or staff in the area; I would want to have a back-up plan in case all sites are already taken.

Check-in and check-out are accomplished by filling out a 3 x 5 card at the entrance and placing it in the slot for your campsite. At the end of October, only 4 of the 15 campsites were occupied so I was able to select one spaced out from other campers for privacy.

The campsites are arranged on the outer perimeter of the loop drive, with a vaulted toilet outhouse and a pump water spigot located within the center island. (I did not use the water, but have read elsewhere that it may come out looking rusty, presumably from the mineral content). Campsites had enough space between them to feel private but close enough to feel that local bears would (hopefully) pass us by. Each campsite has a long parking area (not pull through), a cleared area for tents, a picnic table, and a fire ring and lantern pole. There is no electricity at the campground.

The road approaching the campground is not comfortably wide enough to pass oncoming cars (though I did not encounter any) so I would take it slow, especially around the many bends. My cellular reception cut out along one of the forest roads well before reaching the campground; I will have a compass and written directions in and out handy when I return.