the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In
Bogachiel State Park is located in Olympic National Park in Washington
8 Reviews of Bogachiel State Park
Wooded, clean, quiet.

There are a couple of loops in this campground - the first one has a bunch of sites, but they're a little tight together. I recommend trying to get a site in numbers 34+ if you can - they're more spread out. We stayed in site 35, and there was a path to the river right next to our site. Nice amount of trees, pretty even ground for tents. The ground was very hard to push our tent spikes into, so bring a mallet. The showers are okay - hot water for sure, but it's a quarter for 3 minutes of water and the shower isn't super clean.

The campground is close to Forks, a small town with a grocery store and not much more. But that's all you really need, right? The location was great if you're interested in the Hoh rainforest and the coastal area. I would definitely stay there again!

Great staff, challenging location

This I had the best staff I've ever encountered. Helpful, rationale, great job on women's restroom. But our site had hardly any where to pitch our tent. I think the biggest challenge was it was so beautiful that the locals came every night to the river to party and play. Thursday we had music till the wee sma's and not from campers. Hard to share with an extra 100 people. In the morning the river was peaceful.

Quaint little campground, terrible site choices

A cute little campground near the Hoh rainforest. it is literally right off of highway 101, and you'll hear the trucks all night… we booked a little late and managed to grab a couple sites near each other, but not connected. we had site 5 and 7. neither were favorably placed around the site and mentioned the privacy wasn't great. when we got there, site 5 was literally sharing a wall with the bathroom and adjacent to one of the day use structures. I wish I had remembered a photo… people would constantly walk between the two cars and two tents all night to get to the bathroom, since the public path was a little further of a walk. angling the cars to leave very little space seemed to dissuade them in subsequent night. every time someone used the hand driers you could hear it three sites away, so imagine the noise in site 5… the reservation mentioned a few tents would fit and we had two, but of the three days we were there, it rained one and puddles formed near the tents. there was no place to keep them dry if it rained any harder. and this is right next to the rainforest…
site 7 also mentioned a couple of tents would fit, but only if you've got two bivvy tents, it was a tiny site with only one parking spot. we had one tent in this site and used this site to hang out most of the time since the bathroom smell would waft over site 5 every so often. the powered rv sites are interspersed with other sites at Bogachiel and site 7 was surrounded by them. most of those neighbors weren't bad, but a bad neighbor could easily ruin that site for you. end result, I probably won't be back due to the highway, and if I do, there's no chance I'll book site 5 or 7…

Bogachiel State Park Is One of the Best On the Olympic Peninsula

Campground Review:

Bogachiel State Park is poised right between the Olympic Peninsula Coast near Forks, Washington and La Push and the Hoh Rainforest. It's incredibly lush, so even though some campsites are closer together it never feels crowded. Instead, it has a lovely, meandering vibe.

I appreciate that there are a two campsites reserve just for bikepackers or walk-ins, as well as the larger car camping sites. There is also a group campsite and a ADA-accessible campsite for disabled campers. The bathrooms have showers, and are also ADA-accessible. RVs under 40 feet in length can be accommodated, too.

Named for the Bogachiel River that extends out of the Hoh Rainforest towards the Pacific, you can get your feet wet here and even go tubing. The location is pretty ideal— it's a reasonable drive from both Portland and Seattle and equidistant between the beach and the mountains, so it's a great basecamp from which to further explore the Olympic Peninsula over a multi-day camping trip. There are plenty of amenities to make your stay comfortable, but you still feel like you're really in nature, which is nice.

Product Review:

As a Dyrt Ranger, I'm lucky enough to occasionally have the opportunity to test and evaluate products. On this trip, I tested Ethnotek's Padu Dopp Kit Toiletry Bag, the Padu Zipper Pouch, and the Chaalo Pocket Travel Bag.

One of my biggest pet peeves any time I'm living out of a backpack is losing all my small items only to find them rattling around in the bottom of my pack later. Whether I'm camping or traveling, I like knowing exactly where all my charger cables, chapstick, hand sanitizer, pens, sunscreen, makeup, and hairpins are. The Padu Dopp Kit Toiletry Bag and Padu Zipper Pouch were perfect for wrangling all that ephemera within my big backpack.

Both the Padu bags are surprisingly roomy. I was impressed with how much I could fit into them. There are a number of thoughtful details, too. The Toiletry Bag is pretty on the outside, but the inside is made of water-resistant fabric, so I don't have to worry about spilled hand cream ruining my bag. There's also a mesh pocket so you can easily confirm the contents at a glance. The other interior pocket is made of that same water-resistant material, which is nice for keeping things like your toothbrush clean and separate.

The Padu Zipper Pouch is smaller and simpler, with no interior pockets. Still, it was plenty big enough to hold all sorts of things, like a few phone chargers, sunglasses, and my spare battery pack. I like that you can order both products in a variety of different exterior patterns, too. It makes it even easier to stay organized when I don't have to worry about mixing up my bags. It's also wonderful that these are sturdy and practical, but pretty enough that I can carry them as a clutch bag. Perfect for when you're trying to travel light and need your gear to pull double duty!

The Chaalo Pocket Travel Bag can definitely play multiple roles, too. You can use it to keep your essentials in one place within your larger backpack, like your keys, wallet, passport, credit or transit cards, point-and-shoot camera etc. It's long nylon strap, though, lets you use it as a cross-body or shoulder purse, too, just the right size for excursions where a day pack would be too much. No fumbling around looking for the car keys— there's an interior key clip. No looking for a pen, either, with the three pen slots. I was glad to have this when we wanted to leave Bogachiel and grab brunch at the River's Edge Restaurant on the Quileute Indian Reservation thirty minutes away.

Like the two Padu bags, the Chaalo is also a really attractive bag that is as nice-looking as it is sturdy. That's a bonus for me— sometimes I get tired of outdoor gear that is all about performance but leaves something to be desired in the aesthetic department. Bogachiel is in such a beautiful part of the world. It's nice to have bags that are just as attractive.

Campground review

Along the river. Campsites are cramped and not very private. Mora is nearby and better quality.

Perfect Get-Away

Our family had a lot of fun at Bogachiel! Some of the campsites lead right up to the river and were tucked away by the forest. Super small but so close to Forks and La Push.

Near Forks

Awesome, clean Facilities, fabulous grounds and cheery folks.

Rainforest Camping

It feels like the edge of the world here - the WET edge of the world. Right on the edge of the Hoh rainforest, this is a great place to camp if you want to explore the Hoh rainforest.

There are only about 20 or so campsites so its a small and somewhat remote campground. The bathrooms were decent and lots of shade. Bring some rain gear as it is somewhat damp here.