The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Stony Ridge , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Stony Ridge Camping Reviews
Great Experience

Camp Creek State Park was easy to find as our RV GPS and Waze brought us right to the Campground(CG). Check-in was quick at the little office right inside this small CG. We then proceed to back-in site 21 with FHUs, which was an easy back in. The site was nice and wide with plenty of space on each side. On the park map it was designated ADA(as was site 22) but we had booked online not seeing any restrictions. We did note after hooking into water that their water pressure was not very good at about 25 psi. The CG has WiFi but admittedly at the office its spotty at best. We got about 3 or 4 OTA channels, with one being a prime channel. We didn’t try satellite but could probably have gotten a signal. We also got 2 bars each on Verizon and AT&T. There are actually two campgrounds in this little state park, Mash Fork where we were and Blue Jay on the other side of the park that is tent camping. Both check in at the Mash Fork office. Site 21 was a nice site that had shade in the afternoon, which would be nice in warmer weather but when we were there first week of April, we had snow and freezing temps. The campsites that ran along the creek were water& 30 AMP and could only take an RV up to 35’. FHU sites were on the opposite side and middle of CG. Probably the best big rig campsite with FHUs with plenty of yard space and some creek view is 26. Both CGs have a large creek running adjacent to the CG. Trout fishing was very popular though I didn’t catch any. They do restock this time of year. There are quite a few trails to hike to include the Mash Fork Falls trail that goes to the Mash Fork Falls then around the mountain to the other side of the park. Its a difficult level hike up the side of the mountain, but once you get up its not too bad if you’re in somewhat decent shape. You don't have to take the difficult trail to see the Mash Fork Falls, there is a flat road next to the Mash Fork Campground that goes right down to the falls. They sell firewood and ice at the Mash Fork office and there’s laundry on the backside of the bath house with 2 washers($1.00) and 3 dryers($1.50). Nearest major amenities(Walmart etc.) are at exit 9 off I-77 South in Princeton, WV. As a point of reference, Camp Creek is exit 20. We enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

Wild Ponies!

Lots of clear field balds to walk through. The main trail is easy but the bouldering further up is challenging and exhilarating! Great for any hiking experience level. And wild ponies are everywhere! Be wary of the wind in the winter! My camera case almost blew away. Secure your items while you're there!

BEAUTIFUL

So… I was planning on camping here in Grayson Highlands and even had a reservation, but when we arrived there was an emergency within the park and we could no longer stay there, but we got fully reimbursed! The rangers were so nice!!! ALthough that was a shame we took a ride around the park and LOVED IT. I will for sure be returning to enjoy this serene park. The trails were extremely icy, but we had arrived during a severe winter storm, but the pictures we had captured were breathtaking. The backpacking trails look well maintained and easy to set camp up in. I personally would prefer to hammock camp while backpacking here because there is a thick brush layer even in late january. Such a shame we missed our opportunity, but had to leave a review because it looked AMAZING.

Wild Ponies.....

Grayson Highlands State Park is just one of those places you love! The views are awesome, the trails excellent and then there’s wild ponies ! I brought my daughter and granddaughter with me this time and we all had a very good visit. My granddaughter got such a thrill out of meeting wild ponies and there were so many babies, it was so much fun ;) The campground is quiet and the sites are mostly shaded. There’s good separation between sites, though some are a little more open then others. There are a few sites where you are literally sitting on the edge of a very steep drop off, I avoid these ! There are Trailhead’s within the campground and several other very unique and challenging trails. The shower house was a short walk through the trees. The camp Host was across the road from the shower house and next to the dump site. He had firewood on site and was very helpful and informative. No water sports here , but lotsa hiking and stars.

Beauty in the mountains

Lovely hike with the most beautiful views of both wildlife and the mountain scenery

Not a good experience

In our trip from Arkansas to the east coast we reserved two nights here based on reviews. I’m sure COVID-19 had a lot to do with the park being in shut down mode but we found the park to be so bad we left after one night. Sites we were assigned were very difficult to get in, extremely unlevel and the sites were unkept and showed a lack of maintenance. We were there on 9/22/20 and the flying knat’s and bugs wouldn’t let you out of the door. My water hookup required a set of pliers to operate and the 30amp plug was installed upside down making it impossible to plug in due to the box being jacked up. Had to use the 50 amp plug/converter. We won’t be back. Hope things change for the better.

The Best!

I have been coming here for the past 10 years.   It's  one of the best  Campgrounds I have been to anywhere. Not only is it beautiful and well kept like most state parks but the staff has always been tremendous and helpful. And the location is quite perfect. It is set high on the mountain so you get wonderful views easy access to the Appalachian trail And lots of hiking everywhere.

Highly recommend

Such an amazing place! We camped, hiked, and relaxed! Some spaces in campground were a little crowded, but not all sites! Campground was clean and well maintained! The hiking and views from this place was amazing!

One of the best!

This is one of the best Virginia State Parks I have camped at!

The area is just so incredibly beautiful and the park is huge, there is so much to do and explore. The ponies, hikes of all kinds, waterfalls, mountains. It is a trip I will remember forever.

We got a non-site specific tent site reservation so we rolled up and I think we got the best one, site 13. It is the most private and very comfortable. Close to the bathrooms and water. I have no complaints! It was great!

Check out Molly Chomper Cidery if you venture out of the park!

Great Way to Getaway

The Breaks are considered the “Grand Canyon of the south”. Great mountaintop views, hiking, geocaching, kayaking, paddle boats, a zip line, and seasonal white water rafting all available. A few miles from the campground you’ll even find river access with a sandy beach for summer fun. A wonderful getaway when you want to be away from it all. Several campground sections to choose from with primitive sites to full hookup with electric, water, and sewer. Dump stations are available also. There are laundry facilities and bathhouses (didn’t use either so not sure on condition), playgrounds, picnic shelters, cabins, and inns. Each campsite had a fire ring and picnic table. Spots are definitely not level, so bring a variety of blocks—you’ll need them. No outside lights at the sites so when it’s dark it’s d-a-r-k. Beautiful campground.