No Drinking Water
Not Reservable
Porcupine Flat Campground is located in Yosemite National Park in California
3 Reviews of Porcupine Flat Campground
Overcrowded

This camp is one I had to take a hard pass on.  I do not like to leave bad reviews, I would much rather give the benefit of the doubt of a good versus bad day and give constructive criticism, but I fear this campground was beyond that due to my experience.

Like the other reviewers who mentioned that the location was over crowded I had similar experience.  I arrived early in the morning to find a campsite and noticed some people were leaving, I thought I had found a perfect spot, one of the few which felt like it had a little privacy.   Before the campers could pull out someone had tossed a portable tent on the site from the camp beside it to claim it for a friend who was not even present.   This really did not sit well with me and at that point I knew it was simply not for me.

The camp itself was not worth the hassle as it appeared over run and the lack of respect for others was prevalent.   This was quite surprising in comparison to other camps I had experienced in the area and I was astonished to see that on this, the far side of the park this was the case.   I expected it more so on the side with more of the city traffic.

The highlight of this camp was leaving and driving toward Mono Lake area.  At this point I found an amazing lookout and the home of what was a then closed lake campground.   The lake campground being closed could have attributed to the overcrowding of this campground as it was one of the first camps coming from the East.   I am not sure why it was closed however when I visited.

At least it's in the park...

First-come, first-served campground. My friend and I stayed outside the park on a Friday night, then got up early Saturday morning to come stalk these campsites at 6am. We circled around for a bit, accidentally drove over a large rock, sat there looking defeated, then some nice woman came up to our car and told us they were leaving soon. We were so thrilled to get a site! Set up our stuff, then went to hike Cloud's rest.

The evening however was pretty annoying. Like the reviewer before me, we were next to some large family get-together, around 15 people, playing music and making a racket. there is definitely NO ONE enforcing quiet hours. I always being ear plus so I was able to fall asleep…but it was definitely the opposite of a peaceful night in nature.

So…just bring ear plugs. And watch the rocks if you're driving a low-clearance vehicle.

Poor experience

Found one last spot that seemed like a great site. Ended up being next to a group that cramped 20+ people on one site, drinking and yelling until two with a huge lantern that lit up everything around it. It was like I was camping in the middle of the day at a frat house. No sign of any ranger to enforce the so called "quiet hours" of 11PM. Packed up at 5AM and went to Yosemite Creek instead.