the dyrt
About Guadalupe Peak
National Park Service
Guadalupe Peak is located in Guadalupe Mountains National Park in Texas
5 Reviews of Guadalupe Peak
Backpacking by the highest peak in TX

This is a backpacking campsite just over 3 miles away. The peak is about a 7 hour hike.

Yay: I wouldn’t call this camping, it is backpacking. So there are no amenities at all and you can’t get here by car.

Nay: very windy! Also not car camping.

Surprise: wonderful hike but very steep!

Tallest point in Texas

We had a great time. Overall experience with the park and staff was good extremely friendly and helpful. We drove 10 hours to find their camp ground full they were able to make room and squeeze us in. Saved us a headache. The hike it's self can be done in one day but we chose to stay the night on the mountain and if you do be sure to set your tent on the east side to catch an awesome sun set view in the morning. Do take a lot of water because there is no supply on the mountain. Definitely a must for any Texas Hiker!

Hiked to the top!

Primitive campsite on South Rim trail. Trail to campsites branches off from the junction of the Pinnacles trail and Emory Peak trail. As we were first summiting Emory Peak, we took Pinnacle trail up, dropped off our gear the junction of Pinnacle trail and Emory Peak (there are several bear boxes), and summited. After, we returned, grabbed our gear, and set off down the South Rim trail. There were several primitive campsites in close proximity. Our campsite had a large metal bear box in which you could store food and packs. The site was large enough for a few tents (2-3); we had a group of five and had more than enough room. Nearby, there was a compostable toilet that was shared by the surrounding campsites. The toilet is rather open, and they ask to add on soil/mulch after using the bathroom. There is not a water source (to my knowledge) anywhere on the mountain or close to the trail, so you must pack in all water. This campsite is approximately a mile from the junction of Emory Peak and Pinnacle trail; where it meets with the two, the peak is a mile further along. Additionally, if you continue along the South Rim trail, there are breathtaking views atop the ridge that look out over an immense canyon. On a clear day, you can easily see the Rio Grande, Mexico, and the cliffs and mountains across the border.

The Top of Texas

I went up for Labour Day weekend last year. My friend and I were able to share the group site with two other groups. We all got along well with no issues.

You are unable to reserve sites there.

I did two hikes, the first was the Devil's Hall Trail, which is along a wash and into a canyon. 4.2 miles round trip and moderate.

The next morning we did the Guadalupe Peak trail. We started around 7:30am, got to the summit around 12:30pm and then got back down around 4pm. We were chased down by some thunderstorms that were common that time of the year.

Next time I do it, I would start the hike before the sunrise.

Be sure to bring plenty of water on any of the hikes and good shoes.

The campground over all is nice. Water and composting toilets are close by and flush toilets are a close walk.

There is an amphitheater near the camp where the rangers told stories about the area, which was pretty neat.

Amazing Elevation for Texas

I stayed at the Pine Spring campground before hiking to Guadalupe Peak over Thanksgiving weekend. I got one of the last campsites so be sure to arrive early as they are first come, first serve. The campground is great and there is sufficient spacing between tent sites to allow you to have some privacy. There are minimal facilities but there are water spigots near the road and composting toilets. There is a bathroom with flush toilets near the RV parking including an area where you can wash your dishes. I highly recommend visiting the park and the hike to Guadalupe Peak is a must!