The best RV SITES camping near
Walker , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Walker Camping Reviews
Great Value Camping Spot

Overall good experience with this campground. The ranger was super sweet and helpful. We enjoyed the trails, and they were nice and easy to get through and just long enough to feel like you got a bit of hiking in. They offer rentals for John boats, paddle boats, and kayaks for a very reasonable cost. We rented two paddle boats and had a blast (it was exhausting though). There is wifi at the office and meeting building, which came in handy for communication since cell service was spotty at best.

The sites are kind of on the smaller side and close, so if you are bringing a large camper it might be a challenge. There were lots of campers, so it's definitely doable though. We were in a tent so the pad size was perfect for us. The pad is mostly sand over clay, rather than gravel, which was great with the tent. The sites have power and water. Lots of trees, so it's perfect if you have hammocks. They also sell fire wood on site, if you need it.

My only minor complaints were the bathrooms, office hours, and wasps. The bathrooms are clean and fully functional but oddly proportioned so the showers and stalls are really cramped but the sink area is huge. The office is only open a couple hours a day, which was understandable but inconvenient. There were a lot of wasps around the fishing pier and the boats. Didn't have any problems with them in other areas or at the camp site, so that was good at least.

All in all, the trip was very enjoyable and we look forward to going back to Barnwell as well as making our way through the other state parks.

One Star is Too Much

I would like to give an honest review of this campground because I rely on other peoples’ reviews to choose campgrounds that I have not been to before. I cannot in good faith recommend this campground to anyone. I called the week ahead to confirm that reservations were not required. I spoke with a lovely lady who shared reservations were not required and that their campground never fills up. (However I will have to say the night that I arrived, there were very few spaces left.) I told her I had read good reviews and that we were local and were excited to come.
My first impression - I would prefer to camp under the stars. Instead, at this campground you camp under a light pole at each campsite. We also like to have a fire ring to have a fire going to cook our food, but not at this campground. There’s a community fire, and no fire rings at the campsites. But the most deplorable part of our short stay was the treatment received from the owner. We arrived after dark, in the fog and after setting up our camper, we went to plug it in only to find that there was no wiring in the electrical box. Unfortunately we did not notice the small, paper sign, wet and faded stating that the electric box was out of order. When we spoke to the owner, he had no professional courtesy at all. He was the rudest person I have ever met. He blamed us for not reading his wet, faded sign that could not be seen in the dark. He did not offer to help, but instead raged on and noticed that we had South Carolina plates. He then said we weren’t even supposed to be there, that their campground is for out of state campers. I have never heard of such a thing and not to mention, the lady I spoke to earlier in the week knew I had said we were local and did not mention this policy on the phone. If I I am paying to camp, I expect a working campsite. If it does not have working electricity or sewer, it should be roped off so that people know not to park there. We packed up and left because of the unprofessional behavior of this campground owner. If you are looking for a place to camp, I would highly recommend skipping Sweetwater Lake Campground and checking out one of our State Park campgrounds instead. They have working campsites under the stars with electricity, water, fire rings, and park rangers that care about your camping experience.

I love this place!

Sweetwater Lake Campground is a small RV campground. There is electric and water hookup and a dump station. Lots are decent size and fairly level on grass or gravel. The owners are very nice and available, if needed. Reservations are not taken, so you pull in and pick your spot. Drop your money in a lock box. The property has a nice size lake and all spots face it. There are fire pits and hammocks. The best and most fun part about this campground are the rescue donkeys. Their shelter and grazing area is situated directly behind the camper row. You can hear them bray and they will come to you and let you pet them, although, you should use caution as they warn you that donkeys bite. This is a very nice, quiet campground surrounded by private property of fields and lake. I really enjoyed our stay here!

Basics provided, but nothing special

The campground was fine. Hookups were accessible and Mike the office manager was easy to work with. The pads for the back in smaller campers were sandy with a concrete pad next to it. The sand was impossible to keep out of the RV and we continuously had to sweep. There were also no fire pits or communal areas / playgrounds, so it was difficult to keep our toddler entertained. Served it's purpose as a one night stay but not great for longer term

Ideal!

This campground is right off 95 and very easy to access. Loud highway noise, but tolerable. Tall trees everywhere. Very pretty! No rock or concrete pad to park on so be prepared to level your RV. Bathrooms/showers are clean and large. Pleasant staff. We would absolutely stay here again for an overnight as we pass through.

Right on the lake

Campground had tons of room in December. We were right on the lake. Easy park to walk and explore.

We will be back to our waterfront campsite!

We loved it here! The park was very clean and there were not many people. Our kids loved exploring the water, biking, the fun playgrounds and the little free libraries. This was a fun campsite-very clean and kind camp hosts! We will be back!

We were at site 25, I’d recommend the other loop further on the island. We were right by the bridge and I’d prefer not seeing cars fly by even from a distance but other than that, we loved it!

Open year round , do not have to have reservations! All sites lake front. So convenient and easy!!! One mile off of interstate i26, exit off on exit 139. So clean, easy and beautiful!!!!!!!awesome for pets!! You will love it!!

You have to see this!!! Friendly owners, easy in and out, always have sites available, do not have to make reservations!!! Best kept secrete!!!! Exit 139 off of i26

Good Enough!

The campground sits beside a very large lake and many of the campers had boats in tow. We stayed at site #53….not a great site by comparison, but did have water and electrical hook ups. Backed to wooded area.

Facilities were fine.

From this state park you can drive to Congaree National Park. This park was just ok. The boardwalk trail winds through the wetlands along with a few other trails. One half day was plenty.

excellent

We were looking for a stopover for one night.  Called enroute and the friendly owner said to come on in.  It is a small family owned campground.  Put money in box as honor system.  All sites face the lake.  Cute as it can be.

$35