Water Unknown
About Elk Lake Campground

This 17 site tent-only campground, located adjacent to the Bull of the Woods and Opal Creek Wildernesses, is full of beauty in the summer. Wildflowers are a beautiful sight in the campground's meadows around July.  Swim or paddle in the quiet waters of the non-motorized lake, go for a great hike with views of multiple Cascade peaks, or just kick back and relax in the campground.

National Forest
Elk Lake Campground is located in Oregon
Directions
12.1 miles north of Detroit From Highway 22 at Detroit, Oregon, turn onto Breitenbush Road (FSR 46). Proceed 4.4 miles, turn left onto FS Road 4696. Proceed 0.8 miles, turn left on FS Road 4697. Follow FS Road 4697 for 4.5 miles and turn left at an unmarked junction (still FS Road 4697), continue 2.1 miles to a small spur road located at west end of Elk Lake (FS Road 390). The camping area is about 0.3 miles ahead. CAUTION: FS Road 4697 is not maintained for the last 4 miles into Elk Lake. Access by low-clearance vehicles and trailers not recommended as the road is rough and rocky.
5 Reviews of Elk Lake Campground
Majestic and Sleepy

This campground is a nice, little, easy remote getaway. Road is a bit rough coming in, so I would recommend a Subaru at minimum.

Complete forested sites and open meadow sites available, some lakeside. Two pit toilets, and affordable nightly camping rate. There’s a nice trail along on the lake to hike on the north side and a ramp for boats at the campsite.

This place was beautiful and quiet, lots of wildlife and the lake is inviting.

Perfection

Very quiet! Cougars are often in and around campsites.

Bad experience

The website gave a very false perception of what the "resort" is. Upon checking in, I was informed by the young lady working the desk that showers would cost $5.00 each, and there was exactly one shower to service the entire resort. Very pretty views from the lodge and lake though. Almost like a postcard.

After setting up camp, we were dismayed to discover that the toilet facilities were unbearable to use. The permanent structures were so full that the smell could be detected a good distance away, and the one temporary port-o-potty was so full that the material almost reached the top of the seat.

We had two meals at the lodge. We were looked at and ignored four times at least, before a server decided to bring us menus and ask about drinks. The chili was lukewarm. If we hadn't been so hungry, and the staff so unenthused, we would have sent it back for warming. The bite of corn bread was so-so. Salad so-so. Burgers okay. The nearly universally unpleasant staff was a bummer.

Although we did have a family emergency back home and had to leave a day early. In this case I did have a pleasant interaction with the staff and got a refund for the last night we were not there. Overall so-so trip to Elk Lake Resort.

Long drive, beautiful campground

The road approaching the campground is very rough the last hour or so. I would not recommend taking a compact car, though I did see some on the road. The campground is well worth the drive, though, as you drive in and the lake opens up in front of you. It is a secluded, quiet campground with only 17 sites, most of which are relatively secluded. If you drive to the right, the campsites are not directly on the lake, but are large and private. Battle Ax and Twin Lakes hikes are just up the road. I highly recommend Battle Ax for some fantastic views!

Elk lake

Great campground if you enjoy a secluded area. Must have vehicle that can drive up a gravel road with many pot holes and high clearance. There are camp sites near the bathroom but I prefer to camp further away. One of my favorite places to camp.