Equestrian
Hike In
Burr Oak State Park is located in Ohio
15 Reviews of Burr Oak State Park
A Good Beginner Backpack Trail

I went here with my brother for a backpacking trip around the lake and had a great time. The trail head is easy to find (near the lodge) and the trails are well blazed and easily followed. The trail itself follows the outline of the lake, roughly, and offers some spectacular views of the lake.

The terrain can be hilly at times but not overly so. And there are a great deal of interesting rock formations, wildflower groves, and various different kinds of environments to see along the trail.

The campsites are all drive in campsites at various points along the trail, many of which also have a dock. For more adventurous backpackers this can be a little disconcerting and take away any hopes of a back country camping trip. But for backpacker beginners it can be a great trail as there are water and bathroom stops at several points along the trail.

Overall I think it is a great trail for beginning backpackers.

Lovely camping area

We camped at both Dock 3 and Dock 2 with our dog, those are the only two areas that allow pets. At Dock 3 we were right on the water but dock 2 is probably 200 yards from the water. The hiking trails are nice but very muddy after the rain. Lots of geocasches in the area on the trails in Wayne national forest. The docks have near constant traffic but it's not super busy. Just a car every few hours. There were fishermen there most of the night when we were there.

Lotsa excercise

Burr Oak State Park is on the eastern edge of Wayne National Forest, outside Glouster, Oh , off Rt 13. The Lodge is on the opposite side of the lake off Rt 78.

The campground is above the beach area and takes a long walk/drive around to go swimming. Otherwise the sites, though close together, were level, partially shaded and well maintained. I got to put my Tentsile Tree Tent up and it love my Tentsile that much more.

The restroom is basic cinder block and open tank. The showerhouse is at the campstore/office.

The beach is cool with sand along a long graded stretch and dogs are allowed. The marina is down the road as well as the Lake Loop Trailhead.

Burr oak

This campsite kind of reminded me of the movie The Cabin in the Woods. It was woody and felt exactly like what a forest would feel like. There is a lake and the staff is pretty helpful. There is hot clean showers which is always a good thing

Lovely 3 day/2 night backpacking trip

I visited Burr Oak for the first time last September during Labor Day weekend. Surprisingly we rarely saw anybody else on the trails during our 3 day hike around the lake. The first night we stayed in a small camp group on the water. The sites were right up against each other and were mostly occupied by car campers. Luckily nobody wanted the site next to the bathrooms so we had it all to ourselves in our little tent. The second night we stayed at the main campground and were treated to showers and ice cream (what a luxury)! The campsites here were close but very surrounded by woods which was nice for the shade. We loved our three days of hiking around the lake, up and down hills and through wetlands. I can't wait to return.