Waynesville , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Waynesville Camping Reviews
A wonderful getaway

I was thrilled to find a campsite available with an amazing view. While our site was very small, it was perfect for me and two teenage kids. They loved being next to the creek and watching the water move. We already have our next visit booked! It probably won't be our last time, either!

Fall Getaway

My wife and I went for our 5th anniversary. The campground is great and within a mile or 2 of a lot of trail heads in the Smokies. It was beautiful in October, but if you go in peak season I would recommend staying in the national park due to the insane amounts of traffic getting into Gatlinburg.

AT campsites at the Gnarly Oak

Camped here 1 night while hiking the AT. Multiple flat areas for tents and/or trees for hammocks alongside the trail as it crests the ridge just north of the GA/NC border. Running water out of a pipe (it's a spring I guess?) just south of the ridge, but you'll need to boil or filter before drinking. I was here in the middle of November and so it was cold and windy at night.

Our Favorite Campground for the View! Boaters Paradise!

Stunning Views. No Bad Spots. A little crowded, but worth the views and crystal clear water. Watet and Electric at sites. Heated Bathrooms with showers. Super clean campground. We went in Oct, 2020. I would imagine this place would be super crowded in summer. When we went in fall it was comfortable and not too many people. But the sites are close to one another. #49 is super private and like a penthouse suite with 360 views of the water. We stayed at #46, our 3rd favorite site. #43 hit our number 2 favorite as it is a bit away from everyone with view of water in front and behind you! We will be back. From AtlasJeeper!

Closed early

This looked like a great campsite! The website said it closed October 31st. Unfortunately, it was closed early this year for some reason.

Stunning Views! Best sites #43 #49, #46.

We stayed in Oct, 2020, at site #46 which was awesome views. Also loved sites #43 and #49 (Best sites in my opinion). Beautiful Place! Clean. Awesome views. The water is crystal clear. Lots of boats. October had great cool weather and beautiful that the leaves are changing to falls colors. I have seen pictures of this place being very crowded in summer. So, I prefer fall :) Seems great for kids and pets. Not a lot of space or privacy between campsites, but the views are worth the less private sites. Water and electric at each site. Showers in bathrooms too. We will be back!

Needs some love

We stayed in site 20 and my take on this campsite is that it just needs a little love and care.  My site was next to the creek which was nice.  On one side of me was a permanent trailer of someone who lives there and on the other side, nestled into a triangle was my neighbor.  His sewage had been overflowed by the last camper and they had to get the management to help clean it up before they connected.  It's pretty clear that the sites weren't checked or tidied between campers.  There's no cell signal (T-Mobile) and even though the camp supposedly has WiFi, they've not set it up to cover the campground.  It really just covers the camp store area.

It just bothers me sometimes when I see a place like this that could be so great, if there was just a bit more love and care put into the place.

On the plus side, this was our first RV camping trip with our new (to us) 2007 Keystone Laredo 265RL.  Setup and everything went great and we just loved it.  Overall a successful trip but just a bit disappointed in the campground.

Just OK

Pluses: Nice river and lake Excellent WiFi Helpful staff for parking

Minuses: Bathrooms are yuck - need redone Campground is loud from frontage road and running parallel/below Highway I-40 AND train going by.

Very quiet and beautiful

Quiet campsite run by NPS. Beautiful in the fall. Great fire pit and gravel elevated platform for tents and activities

Laurel group site bordering the Toe River

Tis campground is a little hard to find because it is off of the beaten path but close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went during the peak leaf season and of course, had to book the site super early. But we snagged the belle of the ball with the Laurel group site. The maximum number of people in the site is 50 (pre Covid) but we were a group of 3 families with 11 people and it was the perfect size for this size group. There were steps leading down to the river with a small spot for a 2 person tent. There were also a number of dispersed tent sites with room to spread out. We had our own very clean restroom that was not in the way but accessible. There are a number of trails to access from the site including Setrock Falls. Even though the campground was full, we felt completely private in our site. The Toe River is the real gift of this site. The constant sounds around you and the river loop trail allowed you to explore further. This is a perfect site for kids because it is open and the river is shallow enough. I would highly recommend this site any time of year because of the river but fall adds a special quality with the leaves all around.