Laboratory , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Laboratory Camping Reviews
Spacious with Amenities

My husband and I car camped at Paddy Creek in Lake James State Park and were surprised to find such great amenities. The bathrooms were clean and convenient from all the sites. There was water available at our site and neat trails down to the lake.

Picturesque and spacious

My husband and I spent Thankgiving at one of the Table Rock backcountry sites and couldn't have loved it more. Our site at picturesque views of the mountains and a convenient fire ring.

Word's LITERALLY Cannot Describe

This place is a little slice of Heaven for LGBTQ folk! Very Welcoming, clean, very well maintained, and landscaped- not to mention paved pads. This campground has several park models who belong to some part time and some full time folks who came and never left. There's a decent sized pool, a community fire pit, a lake where you can paddle boat. I highly recommend.

Highly recommend

We stayed at P33 in Paddy’s Creek. Site was super clean and short walk to the bathhouse that was pristine. Water pumps/faucets are at every other site so you don’t have to go far. The camp hosts were super friendly and informative on trails as well as assisting with fishing spots. They routinely monitored all the campsites for any issues and brought bundles of wood that were cheap to purchase and burned wonderfully.

Very Nice

This campground is a very nice place. Although it rained the entire weekend we still had a great time. The staff is excellent. When we first arrived, they escorted us to our site. When we got to our site, the previous tenants dumped their raw sewage on the ground. The guy who escorted us immediately had someone come and clean it up and they even snaked the sewage pipe just in case. Our site backed up to the creek which was amazing! We went in the fall so all the activities were done for the year. We will defiantly be back in the summer time!

Overall a Good Experience

Took the new pop-up to Kings Mountain State Park this past weekend and had a great time. The sites are pretty close together, but we still had adequate room to spread out. Each site has water, 30 amp electric, a picnic table, and a fire pit ring. Our site was a pull-through, but the majority of them are back-in. Throughout the campground, AT&T had great cell coverage, but Verizon was non-existent. Our site was a stone's throw from the bath/shower house, which was clean and recently updated. When not in the side, a short walk takes you to the Trading Post, a small store selling firewood ($7), ice, souvenirs, and sundries. Next to that is a large playground connected to a pavilion. A short 2 minute drive (or longer hike if you are feeling ambitious) takes you to the Kings Mountain Military Museum where you can learn of all things historical to Kings Mountain. There's a small model village and numerous other attractions to view while at the park as well. Overall this was a great experience. It's close to home for us, and the price was fantastic ($30 nightly). Let me know if you have any other questions!

Great Little Park

This is a beautiful state park located outside of Morganton, NC - definitely off the beaten path. The family campground is heavily invested in, and you can tell, it's very nice. There are only a handful of sites with electric hookups - no water or sewage hookups available. All sites have a gravel pad and parking for 2 vehicles. The centrally located shower/bathroom building is brand new, and has a wash bin sink on the back of it with hot water to do dishes if needed. From the family campground you can hike to the trailhead for the waterfall trail, which is the most popular one. It continues in a loop, or you can do an out and back if you don't feel like making the strenuous climb to the top. Some of the terrain on the trail can be a bit dicey, so definitely for the more agile. Half of the sites at the campground are adjacent to a trout stream, which is a gorgeous place to fish, cool your drinks, or string up your hammock. The rangers are very attentive to your needs and make rounds throughout the day delivering firewood ($5 a bundle) and just checking in to make sure everyone is good to go. I wouldn't go here with anything larger than a travel trailer - 26 ft or so, but it's definitely a great place to camp. Also, there is NO cell service from any provider, but Wifi is available at the visitors center (1 mile drive from campground).

Example of what a KOA Holiday park should be.

Stayed there two days in the new section. I can’t speak on other parts of the park but the new section has what looks like 90 foot sites. Motorhome fit on cement pad that had asphalt ramps. Wifi is streaming quality but no cable in new section, which we didn’t need because of the quality of the wifi. Open area for satellite reception. Staff was top notch.

Made for large groups not intimate getaways

Be prepared for an encyclopedia of reading all the rules. I found the yurts and cabins to be way too close together for any type of privacy. Maybe they have it set up that way for big groups to come in at once? But it was so noisy with kids and dogs echoing in the valley, and we could even hear the neighboring cabins talking while sitting around their campfire. I suppose if I was there with a group of close friends it would be okay but it seems with all the land they have that they could have given each person more privacy in their spaces. One more thing that may help is we hiked all of the trails and noticed in several places there were 3-4 inch protrusions where small trees where cut down but not cut all the way back to the ground and I almost sprained my ankle. They all did spray paint some of the roots and had the trails nice and cleared but the exposed ends of the small trees throughout the trail are a real hazard. I’m super fit and have good eyesight and hike a lot so I was able to dodge many of them but I’m sure the kids and the older adults may get hurt. Other than the close proximity of the cabins/yurts/RVs and the exposed tree stubs I think they have a great concept (for large group events) and we enjoyed our stay. One more thing the shower handle falls off in the small yurt.

Closed for the season

Closed for the season as of January 6, 2021.