Yurts
About Blue Bear Mountain Campground

Blue Bear Mountain Camp is excited to add Glamping to our existing variety of camping options. Now offering Tepee and Cabin rentals in addition to private, rustic, remote, leave-no-trace Tent camping on 150 acres of pristine mountain land. RV camping, while not remote, still offers the beauty of a natural setting. The number of campsites is limited to protect the land so you have plenty of room to play, hike, fish and enjoy the natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains. At 4,000 feet elevation with cool mountain breezes and mild temperatures. Come Get away from it all at Blue Bear Mountain!

Blue Bear Mountain offers spacious, Low Density RV camping, spacious, private, rustic car accessible tent camping, and spacious, private remote tent camping. Beginning in Spring 2015 luxury Tepee and Cabin rentals provide you with more choices of how to experience your mountain getaway.

Price
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Blue Bear Mountain Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
Directions from Boone: From US Highway 421, head North on NC Highway 194 at New Market Center. Drive about 7.5 miles and turn left onto Longhope Rd. In about three quarters of a mile, turn left on Blue Bear Mountain Road.
9 Reviews of Blue Bear Mountain Campground
The Best

I’ve stayed at Blue Bear twice and booked my third stay as I was leaving. Wonderful campground - you can’t beat any aspect of it.

The sites are well spaced so you don’t feel on top of other campers. Remote sites provide that extra sense of privacy.

The owners are so helpful and friendly. Providing wood and also have devices to haul your gear to certain remote sites.

Location is a great jumping point for tons of hiking and other activities. We went to Ashe County Park to play disc golf, and into Boone to walk around and look at shops.

Bathhouse is very clean and well kept. There is nothing negative to say about Blue Bear. It is our favorite site by far, and keeps us coming back.

Unique

Spacious campsites and a lot of different kinds to choose from! Field sites, wooded sites, large, small AND hike in remote sites! Clean, updated bathrooms. They deliver your firewood although I didn’t have to buy any because the previous campers left plenty!

Dog friendly with no mention of breed restrictions. I definitely will go again! All around professionally managed and friendly staff too!

Large campsites on a mountaintop

The people who own it are super friendly. The campsites are very spaced out. The elevation is high so weather is nice for those trying to escape the summer heat. Bathhouse was nice and clean. The hike to the pond was a little more strenuous than we anticipated but once you get there, there is a nice creek and we caught a trout in the pond right away. I wish there was a playground for the kids but overall it was very nice. Close to Boone. The state maintained gravel road used to access campground was narrow and would be difficult to get a large camper up there, although there were lots of large ones there. We would go back.

Clean & Quiet

The bath house at this campground is very nice and clean. They even have an outdoor sink on one side where you can clean your dishes. Our campsite was one of the furthest from the entrance though so it was a bit of a hike to the bath house. This campground is very quiet and only 15 minutes away from Boone, NC. There are lots of hiking trails to explore and they also have a campground store that sells firewood and charcoal. They do not allow bringing firewood into the campground, you must purchase it at the store.

Amazing, private, secluded

This camp ground was a very private spot. On top of a hill over looking a lake, this sport made us feel very one with nature. Everything was pack in-pack out and about 1.5 miles in. The forest around us was quite dense allowing for us to feel like the only ones out there. Firewood was delivered for us.

Quiet, clean and relaxing

The staff is exceptionally helpful! They provided maps for the hiking trails, helped accommodate parking for our roof top tent. The bathroom facilities were so extremely well taking care of allowing us to feel a bit more at home.

Great Getaway near Historic Todd and New River

The primitive sites are great. Hike in/out if you want or they can haul you stuff down. Either way it’s beautiful. They really care about the campers and take great pride in the Campground. Check out RiverGirl Fishing for some great times on the New River. The second oldest river in the world.

Enjoyed our stay immensely

We stayed at Blue Bear Family Campground on Thanksgiving evening and the following weekend last year. The staff were extremely helpful, arranging items so we could come in Thanksgiving evening without disturbing their family time, at my request. It was me, my 2 dogs, 2 cousins, and my nephew. Our campsite didn't have any direct neighbors until Friday evening, and even then, they were not close enough to disturb us. The campsites are spread out well, and the owner showed me a few places they plan to expand, also explaining that they want to keep everything spread out to avoid the cramped camping feeling. The property itself has miles of trails available, although we didn't get a chance to test them out ourselves this trip. In addition to tent sites, Blue Bear offers RV sites, cabins, and teepee rentals as well. Blue Bear is a hidden gem that I cannot wait to visit in the near future for further exploration.

Mountain Meadow

This campground is 10 to 15 minutes north of Boone, NC in a small town called Todd. It offers RV, drive in and hike in tent sites and also teepee camping. My trip was from a few years ago and after checking the website and looking around it looks like a few things have been added but here's my review from 2014. You first pull into a big meadow surrounded by forest where most of the campsites are. There's a loop with a bathhouse in the middle and all of the rv sites along the edge, the drive in tent sites are also visible from here. Just outside of the loop is a small cabin that is the check-in station with a small storage shed next to it. The wooden "board and batten" siding on the cabin give the whole place a cool old timey feel. They also have a pinzgauer "cool military truck" parked outside to help deliver gear to some of the remote hike in sites if you need it. All in all, this place was awesome and I would love to go back.