About Saranac Lake Islands Adirondack Preserve
Max Vehicle Length Unknown
Saranac Lake Islands Adirondack Preserve is located in New York
14 Reviews of Saranac Lake Islands Adirondack Preserve
Incredible Serenity

This lake is so peaceful and the remote islands that are only accessible by boat make this spot really special. It's a gorgeous place to get away from everything and to really connect to nature. The sites are spacious and gorgeous. Feels pretty private.

Fisherman’s Dream

Boat access only, primitive camping, book campsites early. I’ve been coming here every year for 15 years and look forward to the next trip the minute I leave. Weather comes in quick, be prepared for anything. 40 degree nights happen in the middle of the summer so do 85 degree days. It’s a role of the dice and also what makes it so much fun.

Our Peaceful Place

The experience of camping on one of these islands is something special that will remain with you for years. My partner and I went here on a whim in the summer of 2015, somehow with only a few weeks in advance we got Site 13 which is a large secluded island. We haven’t been able to book it since because the reservations have to be made so long in advance and book up quickly. One day I hope we will be able to return!

All campsites are boat access only and it is very easy to rent a canoe or kayak. I remember the person at check in referring us to an outfitter that dropped off a canoe, paddles, and life jackets to the boat launch area of the campground. It was my first time in a canoe and there are motorized boats on the lake so it can get a little rocky. A wonderful, peaceful place like no other.

Remote

Loved this campground. Pretty much had an entire island to ourselves and got to enjoy the beautiful saranac lake. We will be back!

Love the remoteness and boat-only access that most of the sites have.

Only a few sites have cover available in the form of lean-tos.

private islands surrounded by nature

we rented a motorboat to get to our own private little peninsula (not one of the very sought after islands but just as neat) on the middle saranac. one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had in my life- surrounded by nature- water, woods, birds and fishing for pike, bass and sunfish!

Serene lake camping

Canoed into our campsite, #15. It took 3 trips to bring in all our gear. Beautiful site. Quite a climb up to the actual site. Great swimming from site. Found a great rock to jump from. Lots of loons, toads and fish. Next time we would downsize our gear our use a motorized boat. Outhouse was a little rough around the edges, but doable. Town is close by for ice and things. Our island had 4 other campsites on it and we barely saw or heard our neighbors.

Camping off the grid, only accessible by water? Yes, Please!

Huge sites, a lot of privacy (nearest campsite in most cases is not even visible). We kayaked before, and found the biggest drawback was impossible to bring a lot of food and a cooler. Bought a small aluminum boat with a motor and now can bring a lot more gear. A great place to relax, enjoy nature, and unwind. Photo is view from site 54.

The best in NY state!

I find this gem of a campground a few years back. Now, I come back twice a year. There's nothing better than secluded island campsites for my camping and fishing addiction. All campsites have picnic tables, firepits/grills, and privies. Saranac Lake Marina has great rental boats. I even think the dogs look forward to these camping trips.

Beautiful place

Love this place. Have gone the last three years, and I have reserved again for August 2018. You'll need a boat or canoe (rentals available in Saranac Lake). Sites have tables, fire rings, and outhouses. You'll need a tent, bag, pad, cooking equipment, etc. Bring warm clothing for nights; temps can drop 30 degrees in hours. Sites are carry in/carry out.

Year 2021 Flag