About Deerhead Campground

Deerhead Campground offers 20 sites and is immediately adjacent to the Village of Cloudcroft. Take NM130 south of its intersection with US82 in Cloudcroft 1 mile and you'll see the entrance to Deerhead on the right (just past the turnoff to the Ranger Station). Access to the Rim Trail (T105) trailhead is just across the street. Tables, fire rings, pedestal grills parking spurs, toilets, central garbage depository are all available at this campground.

Price
$20.00
National Forest
Deerhead Campground is located in Lincoln National Forest in New Mexico
Directions
From the west side of Cloudcroft, turn south onto NM130 and travel 1 mile. The campground entrance will be on your right.
3 Reviews of Deerhead Campground
Is this really New Mexico?

I have seen mostly upper New Mexico and well when I found this area in comparison that or anything else near El Paso, I was more than a bit confused as to where I was. Yes, it is a forest, but still I wasn't ready for how forest-like and amazing it was.

Driving out you have no cell signal at all. The roads are winding and you see a lot of livestock, then out of no where deer, big deer and elk! It is like a different planet from everything else and the deeper into Cloudcroft you get the more and more it starts looking more like Colorado than anything you would assume would be New Mexico.

The campground is no different! Large shade trees standing tall above the site, the ground below looking like it was cut from a different cloth than anything from all the miles you travel in any direction from this location. The temperatures itself even is different, cooler by about 15 to 20 degrees.

The camp is small and while they have a posting for RVs I don't see how they could easily fit in the spaces I saw. There are minimal amenities such as drinking water and vault toilets but no dump stations or hook ups.

It was very quiet when we were there although there were other campers, the sounds of everything around seemed to muffle any noise they could be making.

TIPS:

• Don't plan on contacting anyone, staying here is a truly unplug and unwind experience.

• Explore some of the hiking in the area. Lincoln National Forest has nearly 50 trails so there is something for everyone from short day hikes to long treks for backcountry camping and hiking.

Beautiful Campground Just Outside of Town

Just a few minutes outside of the lovely village of Cloudcroft, this campground offers several sites, all with a bit of variety from the next. We stayed overnight in mid July and really enjoyed the location. This is a great spot to escape the heat of the desert. Be prepared for afternoon thunderstorms & showers in the summer months. Sleepy Grass campground is also nearby in case this one is full. Highly recommend for anyone who enjoys peaceful mountain camping.

Nice campground, a bit close to the road

I had been planning on camping in White Sands National Monument, but got there right after the main gates had been locked. Frantic to find a campsite with daylight diminishing and thunder clouds on the horizon, I found this sweet camping area only about an hour from White Sands. Right outside the small town of Cloudcroft, this campground offers pine-filled sites just a short drive from the New Mexican desert. I came looking for a campsite (read no reservations) last June 2015 and found this cool campground. Because I arrived late I didn’t interact with the camp host. I was one of only a few campers, probably because I was there midweek. I had the lower section of the campground all to myself. I arrived during a wicked lightning storm so I spent the first hour or so just enjoying the view before setting up my tent on a very well established tent pad. I made a quick dinner before turning in. The bathrooms (vault toilets) were very clean, came with hand sanitizer and actually smelled nice! I think that was the hosts doing. I slept very comfortably in what were perfect camping temperatures. I packed up in the morning before move on further east. The only concern I had about the campground was how close it was to the road. There weren’t many other people up the mountain, but because the main road loops all the way around the campground I could imagine it being a bit noisy with passing traffic. This campground is very close to Cloudcroft and a short drive down the mountain to Alamogordo. While I didn’t have time to enjoy the mountains it appeared as though there was plenty of hiking and fishing opportunities. The campsite is about and hour or so from White Sands National Monument which I visited after departing the campground. I got great morning shots after fresh wind and rain cleared much of the tracks in the dunes (check pics and video). Overall this site is a great hideaway in the desert (especially for those who are looking for a place to throw a tent for the night) but may be a bit noisy on a busy weekend if you’re planning on hanging out longer.