Equestrian
Hike In
Contact
Indian Cave State Park is located in Nebraska
22 Reviews of Indian Cave State Park
Wooded wonderland with real petroglyphs!

Great campground with beautiful shaded spots. Events not to miss… the Expo in the spring with Morel Mushroom hunting contest, the Haunted Hollow with haunted hay rack ride & campers decorated giving out trick or treats…

Great hikes to see sites

We loved staying here. Nice sites, older picnic tables. Some sites can be tough to get in if you have larger rig. Nice bathrooms. The hikes were nice to do. Several choices in hikes. Dog friendly and kid friendly park.

Beautiful Landscape

I surprised my husband for a mini birthday trip in August of 2015. Yes…we went tent camping in August! The tent campgrounds were pretty empty and we were able to find a nice spot off the road. When we went they were resurfacing the road all the way down to the cave so if you wanted to see the Indian Cave it was about a 2mile hike, which we didn’t mind, aside from the Nebraska, August heat! We loved the hiking trails through the trees and difficult terrain. This camping trip will be another one to complete…maybe in September or October next time 😃

Great!

Great hiking trails and primitive camping!

Hidden Gem

My first visit to this park was a blast. If you live in the Midwest, I would suggest a visit. Lots of hiking and things to explore.

For hiking - we went up loop 10 and down loop 9. It was a steep climb to the top but had great overlook views. If you do the whole loop, coming down 9 is a breeze.

For camping - we stayed in hollows creek. The rv sites are nice, clean and have a nice fire pit. They are a little close to each other, but I like how the bluff helped split them up a little (hence the steep incline others have mentioned). Tent camping sites looked awesome, they are spread out throughout the park, and there’s several walk in sites. We will probably do that next time.

The cave was neat to see, but the hiking, and rest of the park was pretty impressive.

4 Season Park with Something for Everyone

Indian Cave State Park is over 3,000 acres nestled in the banks of the Missouri River in southeast Nebraska. It's relatively short hour-and-a-half drive south makes it both accessible and effective for a secluded getaway.

I arrived on a Saturday morning for a simple solo overnighter and the park did not disappoint. Pro tip: be sure to grab a map on the way in to see which camping spots are open. The trails are all open for hiking but only a few highlighted ones are open for overnight stays.

Fires are allowed only in the ring but with proper prep, that doesn't present a problem. Be aware that though there is plenty of fallen Deadwood, you will be hard pressed to find anything besides cottonwood. If you don't want to spend tons of time gathering fuel, bring in some hardwood for a lasting coal bank.

I stayed right along the river at the start of the river road that leads to the main attraction of the park, the Caves. The Caves is an important historic site with natural formations and ancient petroglyphs.

Everyone should experience Halloween here

A few years back we were told to come experience Halloween at Indian Cave State Park. I was skeptical, but once we went we were hooked and keep coming year after year. We even won the decorating contest last year-The prize is free camping, can't beat that. People come from all over to partake in this fun time. There is the decorating of the camp sites, pumpkin rolling, haunted hay rack rides, trick or treating for the young and old, and it's really an experience.

We stay in a site that is your basic State Park sites-Electric. In the campground there are vault toilets(not the cleanest, but by far not the worst). The bath house is a ways walk. There are lots of trails to wander through and lots of fun to be had.

Indian cave state park

Very nice state park

Great campground but trails were inaccessible from campgrounds

The camping section for r.v. is very steep.  We were situated near the shower/bathrooms, but I felt sorry for the guys that were located down the hill.  At the bottom of the hill was a classic playground with swings, slides and a merry-go-round. If I had come just for camping, then this park was great.  But I also came to try the hiking and the trails around the area, but there isn’t a single trail near the r.v. camping area. I guess they expected you to drive to a trailhead.  We walked to a couple of the historic sites, but it was all road and concrete and we had to keep making way for the vehicles. I had been looking forward to trail walk, and instead I felt like I was on a city walk.  The historical sites were quaint, and since we were there on a weekend, they had re-enactments. It would have been a dud on a Monday. The second day, we were smart and we drove to the Indian Cave. It was a good thing, too.  It was another extremely long, steep hill down to the trail head. I think it took us a good 20 minutes to make the drive. The trail itself was more of a boardwalk, and it took us only a few minutes to get up to the cave.

Over-all, I think the park lacks good planning.  They could make it so much better if they could connect the camping area with at least one of the trails to the northeast.  As it is, I would recommend the site if you have a separate vehicle or as a day trip.

We loved this camp ground!

We tent camped with 3 kids last week. Tons of fun hiking and exploring. Would have been nice to have trails closer to camp area, but drives were short and the air conditioner felt great after hiking. The kids were a little disappointed with the cave, they thought they could go inside. Over all it was very clean and tons of fun. We would definitely go back!