The best TENT SITES camping near
University , MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent University Camping Reviews
Not the Safest

Pretty bare bones, dirt sites were easy to maneuver in and out of, but I had to disconnect for my overnight here and I did not feel very safe. The only neighbor I met was selling 5 week old pit bulls, which was very concerning if you are a dog lover or advocate. The next morning, I had a 10” rod deep in the side of my wheel - coincidence? I was ready to get out of there!

Quiet, inexpensive nature setting campground

Remotely located but still close to major roads. We came in with a 38’ RV not much problem with spaces but be aware of trees on both sides of spaces. We were given space #60 but would not have been able to open slides because of trees so we took another space. Most of them are not leveled. Water and electric hookups. We saw a momma dear and her baby cross the road. Lots of trees and leaves everywhere. It’s fall. For the price it can’t be beat. We paid senior price $16.

Great one-nighter.

This was just a stop over fire us on our way back to Texas. Nice concrete pads. The sights are pretty cozy, but I have seen worse. When we arrived it was during the day and the office was open, yet all the registrations had been put out in the late check-in box for us to grab and go on our way. I realize the current time we are in but I found this to be very cold and not a very friendly welcome. There is a laundry here but I don’t really see any other amenities. Perfect for our one night stop.

Peaceful

This campground is beautiful.  Right below the dam.  Great for kayaking.  Seems to be set up for older campers.  They wouldn't let my  10 year old son ride his scooter on the road because it was battery operated.

Nice and quiet

New to fulltime rv life we chose to spend a week at this quiet off the beaten path campground on our way west . This place offers nice concrete pads with full hookups that are relatively level. Water level in Enid Lake was very low so the swimming beach was closed. That was kind of a bummer because Temps were in the 80's. Our Verizon signal was strong enough to browse and stream with no issues but the over the air TV channels were non existent. The nearest town of any size is Batesville about 30 miles north if you need a Walmart. The price is right at 20 bucks a night and we don't regret stopping over here one bit.

A decent but older campground.

We stay at Cossar pretty often, due to it being close to home. We have always stayed on the Yocona Ridge loop, and it has been a nice campground. The facilities are dated, but they keep them very clean. We did drive through the other loop (it was empty and closed at the time, the ranger let us look at it) and it appears to be much older than Yocona Ridge. There were trees/limbs down everywhere and the sites were pretty close to each other.

We had decent cell phone service here. There is no park WIFI. There is a Frisbee golf course that has gotten better over time. The course is now marked very well. The miniature golf course is old, but kids will still like it.

Some of the campers are also employees of the park. One lady just kept coming over and talking non-stop on this visit.

Finally fixing this one up

This is an old campground. The sites are not well marked, so make sure you get there during daylight. We have camped here a few times, as it is relatively close to home. They are finally beginning to work on the other side of the campground to get it opened back up. This has the potential to be a great spot. Most of the sites on the edges are in the sun most of the day, so be aware of that. The park is nice and peaceful, with plenty of fishing and boating opportunities. No real hiking to speak of, one short trail nearby.

Not a fan

This campground is huge with tons of stuff to do for families and large groups. There are lakes, trails, riding trails, swimming pool, party house, cabins to rent just to name a few. RV sites are mostly long term and very full. If you are looking for just an overnight, my advice is to keep looking. Otherwise have a great week long stay at this campground.

Love it

As luck would have it, we spotted this place on our Natchez Trace Parkway map and decided we had enough driving for the day. Beautiful setting among the trees and right next to the lake. Level, fire pits, charcoal grills, picnic tables, water and electric all for 20.00 a night and we didn’t qualify for any discount. Already decided we’re staying another night!

Ez-ish anyway

The park is nice and clean. Really quiet the night we stayed. But don’t expect much Info or help if checking in after hours.

We got in late with no reservation. Box on door had about 7 registration slips so we guessed there were probably that many spots available (as there is no map or legend showing what spots were available for the night anywhere).

We were wrong. Wanted a pull thru and found only one. But it was reserved. Drove whole park and found 1 back in. Called the after hours numbers to confirm we didn’t miss something but both went straight to voicemail. Oh well…we backed in and got a night of rest, so mission complete.