the dyrt
US Army Corps of Engineers
Sugar Bottom - Coralville Lake is located in Iowa
3 Reviews of Sugar Bottom - Coralville Lake
Nice access to lake

Nice grassy sites near lake for fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing. Near Iowa Raptor Project that conducts raptor programs and site with walking tour and live raptors, and Macbride State Park as well.

Boats and Beautiful Views

Our one-night stay at the Sugar Bottom- Coralville Lake Campground was terrific! My husband and I stopped there during our cross-country road trip. We arrived around 7:30pm on a Sunday in September and easily got a spot. The lady at the entrance station was incredibly kind and answered all of our questions.

The campground is very well marked, with easily visible site number labels. Each site is in a grassy area with a picnic table and fire ring with a grate. Our site had a tree or two that provided some shade, but some other sites were a but more shaded.

We ended up staying in site #103, which is right by the water. What a beautiful view we had! Our campsite was very close to a boat dock, a sand volleyball court, and a sandy beach. We didn't have a chance to swim at the beach, but it looked really nice! It had a large, designated swimming area that was marked with floating ropes. We were also located close to a building with restrooms. Each restroom had a clean, hot shower. The showers were free, which was a plus!

In my opinion, this is definitely a 5-star campground. I can't wait to come back!

Grass Everywhere

Being from the west I was pretty surprised to be camping on grass. But it was a nice family campground with a playground, a boat dock and a fish cleaning station. Easy access to surrounding hikes and the Raptor center.