Pets Unknown
About Matterhorn

Matterhorn Campground is located along the San Juan Skyway (Colorado Highway 145), near the quaint town of Telluride, at an elevation of 8,500 feet. Visitors enjoy the area for its beautiful scenery, hiking and off-road opportunities.

Recreation

The Galloping Goose Trail #449 can be accessed from the campground. This 8.4-mile trail leads past a restored train trestle, over two trail bridges and along segments of the historic Rio Grande Southern Railway. The trail is open to hiking, biking and horseback riding.

Many scenic driving routes, both paved and off-road, can be found in the area. Additional hiking trails crisscross the surrounding mountains. Lizard Head Wilderness is about 3 miles from the campground.

Facilities

The campground offers single-family sites, each equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring. Some sites are accessible and some have full RV hookups. Flush and vault toilets, drinking water, showers and trash collection are provided.

Natural Features

Most sites on the outer edge of the campground are wooded. Sites on the inside are more open.

Most sites have pleasant views, especially the walk-to tent sites, which have unobstructed and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.

Nearby Attractions

The charming and historic town of Telluride is just 7miles away, offering dining and lodging options, live music, shopping, museums, galleries and plenty of summer activities.

A free, scenic gondola connects Telluride with nearby Mountain Village, a small town with additional shopping and dining opportunities. On the gondola, visitors are awarded a panoramic view of the town and surrounding mountains.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$24.00 - $36.00
National Forest
Matterhorn is located in Colorado
Directions
From Telluride, travel approximately 7 miles south on Highway 145. Watch for campground signs; the turn off from the road is on the left.
5 Reviews of Matterhorn
Great site

Great place to stay with hot showers and awesome views. Close to the free gondola in Mountain village as well

Telluride Film Festival

Nice campground, but pretty cold on Labor Day weekend. Very clean bathrooms. Close to Telluride, so it’s a good alternative to spending $400 a night at a local hotel! The whole area is gorgeous and I wish we’d had more time for hiking!

Great stay!

Right off the highway, but easy to forget. Beautiful view. We stayed right next to a stream which made for easy relaxing. well cared for facilities with showers. A little pricey at $24 for a tent site but a great stay nonetheless.

Glamping about as far from roughing it as Telluride Gets

Deluxe Camping in Telluride, and by that I mean that they have flush and vault toilets, showers, drinking water, trash collection and hook ups for your RV or tent. If you have no “roughing it” bone in your body this is the campground for you!

I went here to check out the site since I had heard it was so improved and yes indeed I was impressed by the amenities.

Each site had the typical fire ring and picnic table and with two loops you can choose from either a more wooded feel or more open feel depending on your preference.

Tent sites here have a nice even feel to them clear of obstructions and sharp rocks which for me meant an easy 5 minute set up of my camp. That to me means that I can immediately start enjoying my stay without having to work hard to just prepare my site.

I chose site #12 which was an unimproved tent site, one of only a few they have. I didn’t feel just because I was at a campground that had electricity I needed to pay for it since I didn’t need it. There is a cost of $8 just for electricity. I paid $18 for my site.

My views here were nice and there were not a lot of people at the site mid week, however when I spoke to someone in town (only about 10 minutes away) they said this campground is the weekenders destination during September before it closes and during summer is busy throughout the week with vacationers.

At night this place was a little chilly in September but during the day the weather was ideal. I had a light jacket I carried with me for hiking and I made sure to have my 40 degree sleeping bag for night when temps dropped.

The views here area spectacular much like all of those in Telluride area. In the distance you always will see a snow capped mountain and in September you start to see the fall leaves emerge with their golden tones.

The only negative I could see from this campground was in cell signal for those looking to not be “roughing it” being plugged in with AT&T was a little tough. I had to leave the camp and go toward town before I picked up on signal and even then it was a bit spotty at times.

nice full hookups national forest campground

we had full hookups, spotty Verizon service, good in between place to go to ghost towns, ride thru the mountains and visit telluride,,$48 a night without access pass,