Standard (Tent/RV)
Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 31 ft.
Mount Madonna is located in California
13 Reviews of Mount Madonna
Beautiful County Park with Redwood trees.

My husband and I are not big fans of Campgrounds and prefer boondocking, but Mount Madonna was a pleasant surprise. There are several loops in the campground, and we stayed in Valley View 1 which had electric and water hookup for RV camping only. We were happy to have the electric hook up since the redwood and oak tress surrounding all the sites are huge and block out the sun. It would have been difficult to get sun on the panels especial since we had fog every morning as well. The bathrooms included flush toilets and were cleaned several times a day. The park has showers however, due to Covid-19 they were closed during our visit. Some of the campsites were closed as well to help comply to social distance rules. Valley View loop is close to the main road, some street noise is heard during the day but is limited at night. You are allowed up to two dogs and they are allowed on the surrounding trails. While walking through the trails we say several deer as well as a Turkey Vulture hanging out in a tree looking for a meal. There is a dump station with water in the campground. The drive through horseshoe shape makes it easy to pullup, dump and pull through to the other side where you will find potable water to fill up your tanks if you desire. Overall, we enjoyed our visit and are considering using one of the group sites for a family reunion once we can get together in big groups again.

Hidden forest

How have I never heard of this place before?! Super easy to book, and “last minute” (3 weeks before) compared to 6 months out for a state park. Beautiful redwoods around although 15 mins away is regular houses. Campsites are small, I luckily got 301 which was bigger. There’s a fire pit, picnic bench, trees for shade, potable water, clean bathrooms with soap. Super dark at night with awesome star gazing. What more can you ask for! I did see a bobcat one night at 2:30 am so beware. I can see it getting loud because of close proximity, but honestly wasn’t bad. You can hear the kiddos screaming and having a grand time in the morning though.

Close to town County Park

We love Mount Madonna and have camped here often. It has a few RV sites with water and electric but the dry campsites are a little bigger and very nice. Great hiking trails. Flat looks for kids to bike on. Don't miss the deer pen and the historic house hikes. One of the best local campgrounds near San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Watsonville area. Close but very much a camping experience. Some fog can creep in so be prepared for it to get cold and wet some nights. Camp sites can be close together if in one fo the electric water sites but not too bad. Nice for families. Showers are clean.

In the forest but very noisy

We camped here on Easter Eve, 2019. It seems everyone else did, too! While it was nice to hear the other campers having a great time with their families and friends, the noise level from it was extraordinary.

The campground in the forest and beautiful. The bathrooms were well maintained. And the fire pits were large and had grills.

I don't think we'll camp here again except in the dead of winter when there might not be as many people.

3 days 2 nights

Good family camping. Restrooms and showers were clean and available. Enjoyed a nice hike, there is poison oak on the trails but they are well maintained.

My favorite campground of the Monterey Bay

Mount Madonna County Park has 4 campgrounds. I've been camping in this park since the late 70s. I've seen some changes over the years…ahem…decades. There's something for everyone here, RVers, tenters, and those who want to rent tent cabins. There are plenty of trails to hike, as well as equestrian trails. No bikes on trails though.

There are several micro climates in this area and temps can vary, besides our weather varies from day to day.

There are trails offering views of the Santa Clara Valley, and trails offering views of the Monterey Bay. The park is above the fog line (most of the year). We don't get rain in the summer here. The park is situated at the County lines of Santa Clara County and Santa Cruz County and is part of the Santa Clara County Parks system.

No stores or markets in the park, but you can easily run into town, either Watsonville or Gilroy. It's slightly closer to Watsonville where you will find a gas station/market on 152 (Currently a Valero), or go into Gilroy on 152 for Safeway and more.

There's a small cabin (ranger's station) with a history exhibit and the white reindeer up from the kiosk. My favorite campground in the park is the Tan Oak campground at the top and through the day use area. There are plenty of Geocaches on the trails.

The bathrooms are generally clean. I say generally because I prefer the off season when I have the campground to myself and the bathrooms are super clean, but when the campground is full, like any public bathroom they can need more attention. (Or maybe people just need to clean up after themselves) I've never used the showers, nor the tent cabins. I like the sites because overall they are separated by trees so you don't feel as crowded as more open campgrounds.

Despite signage warning of mountain lions, I have never encountered a single one in all the years of camping here. I've had raccoons and skunks (so lock up your food and belongings), turkeys and deer.

Weekends, especially a holiday weekend such as Memorial Day weekend, can be full. (Not my favorite) I have also stayed for the 4th of July when it fell midweek and had the campground (Tan Oak) literally to myself.

Leashed pets are allowed (2 per site) and 2 cars and 8 people per site.

Santa Clara County Gem

Beautiful county park in the redwood forest of the coastal range. Varied sites and multiple campgrounds make for a choice option for everyone. We’ve stayed here twice and enjoyed it both times.

Beautiful Redwood Camp

This campground is tucked away between Watsonville, CA and Gilroy, CA in a small stand of second growth redwwoods. They have one loop of rv sites and three other loops of gorgeous tent sites. They have redwood trees, showers, restrooms, archery, hiking trails, Henry Miller's vacation home ruins, camp fire programs and a pen of exotic white deer.

I've been camping here my entire life in every season and I never get tired of it.

A secluded getaway in the Redwoods

This campsite offers a variety of amenities.With running water faucets and fire rings, you are sure to have a wonderful time away from civilization.Some events are held at this location,and ypu do have to pay to camp and park,but the quietness of it all is what makes this location unique.This location also offers equestrian activites, an archery range, and oppurtunites for large groups to gather in one of their many beautoful group sites.

Beautiful campgrounds with a lot of hiking options

The campsites are nice but very close together. There are tons of hiking trails. The miller house ruins are really cool and you can find ghost stories about them if you do some googling.

Year 2021 Flag