the dyrt
About Rancheria
Rancheria Campground is located on the shores of Huntington Lake near the Kaiser Wilderness. The campsites sit under a dense canopy of fir and pine, and some tent-only sites are right on the shore and allow for informal mooring of boats. The campground's location makes it possible to discover all the activities and attractions at Huntington Lake, and it's an excellent base for further exploration of the Kaiser Wilderness. Recreation Many hiking trails are in the area, including Rancheria Falls (1 mile), Indian Pools (1 mile) and Black Point (.7 miles). Hikers and horseback riders can access the 12-mile Kaiser Loop Trail, which connects to a network of trails within the Kaiser Wilderness. Huntington Lake offers swimming, sailing, boating, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and water skiing. Additionally, California Land Management sponsors a variety of interpretive programs and nature walks throughout the summer at several locations in the area. Facilities This large campground has several walk-to tent sites; the rest are standard and can accommodate RVs up to 40 feet. Each site has a dirt parking spur, picnic table, campfire ring and grill. A pay phone, drinking water and accessible flush and vault restrooms are provided. An on-site amphitheater is used to host campfire programs on summer weekends. A museum sits next to the campground, offering history of the area, its early Native American inhabitants and the Forest Service. Natural Features The Sierra National Forest, located on the western slope of the central Sierra Nevada, is known for its spectacular mountain scenery and abundant natural resources. The terrain includes rolling, oak-covered foothills, heavily forested middle elevation slopes and the starkly beautiful alpine landscape of the High Sierra. Nearby Attractions The 84-mile Sierra Vista Scenic Byway (Highway 168) makes a great day trip from the Huntington Lake area. ADA Access: N
Sites
125
National Forest
Rancheria is located in California
Directions
From Clovis, take Highway 168 north 70 miles to Huntington Lake Campground office at Eastwood. Check in at office prior to setting up camp.
2 Reviews of Rancheria
Huntington Lake

We stayed in a group site and a lake site, this was pretty quite considering how many campsites. Everything is close the bathrooms are always clean, and the hosts were very nice.

The Far Side

I was never much for car camping until the littl'uns came along and I was forced into submission. I was looking for a place suitable for me and my two friends and their fams. Huntington Lake looked nice so I did a little work and chose Rancheria Campground. A bit of a shot in the dark, but boy! Was I in for a treat. You do not miss out on quality even though this is an easily accessible campground. It is surprisingly clean and the campground management seemed to do a good job. Our sites were at the Southern end (114, 116, 117) which was awesome! I'm sure, after driving through the campground multiple times, that there a few lesser choices, but our end was quiet and peaceful, I mean, besides our children, I'm sure. Most sites are fairly well shaded in the pines so the July heat was not an issue. The lake was literally 500 feet, or so, away, so it was easily accessible. The bear boxes were quiet roomy, fitting both our coolers and all necessary gear. Standard fire ring and table were functional and well placed. The pit toilets were getting a bit ripe, but hey, I didn't have to dig a latrine now, did I? Only possible complaints are the $8/chord for wood, as you're not supposed to bring wood from outside, and no showers (not for me, but for the wife and kiddos). Just take a dip in the clear, clan lake and call it good. We will be back for sure.