Fires Unknown
Contact
Denali Backcountry Units 12 & 13 is located in Alaska
2 Reviews of Denali Backcountry Units 12 & 13
Caribou Hills

Every winter we travel to unit 13 to camp, fill our caribou tag and ride our sleds. This country is so big that you can have your own private playground and campground. Winter camping is limited to the parking lot unless you have appropriate gear to winter tent camp but summer camping is endless. Like any place in Alaska, be BearAware and protect yourself but understand you are in their country out here so take all the necessary precautions.

The most beautiful Units I have been to

When choosing which unit you want to backcountry camp in, I would recommend choosing one of the units near the Muldrow glacier. On just the other side of the Eielson visitor center you will find vast tundra, rivers, glacial lakes, and glaciers. I saw a herd of 30 caribou here just grazing and getting in the way of my path. If you don’t want to hike too far then maybe choose a different unit as you have to hike quite a few miles before being outside of view from the park road.

Mid it’s a nice day outside and the mountain is out you also get the chance to see the great Denali in all it’s glory above Muldrow glacier. If it’s not out, then no worries because the unit is just as awesome without it! Also if you are running low on water tablets there is fresh water at the Eielson visitor center. Do not rely on it as it is still at the park road and no where near your camping area. This was one of my favorite units and I have heard similar reviews from other backpackers.