Cantwell , ALASKA

Most Recent Cantwell Camping Reviews
Fantastic Camping that allows a deeper drive into the National Park

My husband and I stayed here in a rented rv for the most memorable camping experience of my life. The kids used our site as a base camp of familial safety for their backcountry permitted camping excursions. Sure enough after a hard rain, my college aged children hiked back to our site soaked head to foot after a big downpour and once-in-a-lifetime adventures. I ruined everyone's shoes trying to dry them on the fire too quickly. I should have heated rocks and put them inside the shoes with paper, but I was trying to hurry before it rained again.

We used our internal bus pass extensively, but this site is close enough to the river for taking lunch hikes along the park service road. While the sites are fairly close together, we were on an end unit and felt isolated enough from anyone else.

This was my second trip to Denali and I am glad I chose a further-in campground. I can't wait to go back.

Beautiful scenery!

So much to see! We enjoyed the bus tour that the park offered. Also simply walking around and taking everything in.

Pristine Beauty

Looking for jaw-dropping scenery and untouched beauty, then look no more than Teklanika River. With vast thick wooded areas surrounding you the lure of the wild will keep you wanting more. Venture out to the open fields and valleys in search of catching a glimpse of the prized wildlife that call this home.

Amazing Scenery

Savage River is an amazing location in Denali National Park offering details of the river during the winter period. The river does not completely freeze leaving cracks that provide a new perception to the pristine conditions. Drive across the bridge and take a photo opportunity with the jaw-dropping scene.

Great campground that you can drive your car or RV to!

We really enjoyed that we could drive our car further into the park to camp in this campground. Sites are flat and aren't too close together. Had outhouses and running potable water. Fires were allowed. Short walk to the gravel bar and Teklanika river. Nightly ranger programs. We bought a bus pass so we could take daily trips to a part of the park we wanted to explore and then would hop back on when we were done.

wilderness

requires a road permit and you to park your car or rv and stay until stay complete. near a glacial river and one hour into Denali National park. has pit toilets and water. ranger talks posted. great for families. near bus stop to take camper bus farther into park. no marked trails but you can hike along river or road.

Close to tourists

You can get out of tourists views if you just keep hiking past the regular trail for the savage loop. But it will take a long while. If you don’t want to travel far into the National Park and you don’t mind hanging around more people than this is the place to camp.

Near a beautiful local climbing spot

It’s not part of the National Park so camping is allowed. You follow a tiny little path down off the side of the road and can set up camp at the bottom of the rocks. The waterfall is beautiful and it offers wonderful views of the Nenana River.

Bear den near the glacier

This area is one of my favorites. The views are admittedly not that great when you aren’t actually on the glacier, but it’s such a great little inlet to be in and with multiple water sources. Hiking to beautiful views is very easy from all the camp spots. Getting to the camp spots on the other hand is more difficult! You have to cross so many rivers just to get to the start of the glacier area. Expect to be hiking 3-4 hours just to get to the front of the inlet area.

There is a bear den den in this area so be careful. They ran right in front of me as we were leaving this last time I went. Know what to do with bears and do not follow them, it is their territory after all.

Unit 34 has the best 360 views

Unit 34 is another backcountry site in Denali National Park. It is plagued by marsh and thousands of mosquitos, but if you have mosquito gear and get up the mountain as quickly as possible you should be fine. You only have to hike a mile or two to get out of site of the park road. You will need to hike more to get out of the mosquitos and near a water source though. The mountains nearby make a perfect camping spot as you can climb your way out of mosquito hangouts and into the beautiful view of the mountain.