The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Spring Valley , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Spring Valley Camping Reviews
Wild Ponies!

Lots of clear field balds to walk through. The main trail is easy but the bouldering further up is challenging and exhilarating! Great for any hiking experience level. And wild ponies are everywhere! Be wary of the wind in the winter! My camera case almost blew away. Secure your items while you're there!

BEAUTIFUL

So… I was planning on camping here in Grayson Highlands and even had a reservation, but when we arrived there was an emergency within the park and we could no longer stay there, but we got fully reimbursed! The rangers were so nice!!! ALthough that was a shame we took a ride around the park and LOVED IT. I will for sure be returning to enjoy this serene park. The trails were extremely icy, but we had arrived during a severe winter storm, but the pictures we had captured were breathtaking. The backpacking trails look well maintained and easy to set camp up in. I personally would prefer to hammock camp while backpacking here because there is a thick brush layer even in late january. Such a shame we missed our opportunity, but had to leave a review because it looked AMAZING.

Very nice, quiet,Primative camping

This camp ground is very small and on the side of a very quiet road next to beautiful fields with breath taking views it has no paved roads so bring a truck or suv sedans will get stuck easily there is no cell service and it is very clean of trash perfect quiet getaway

Wild Ponies.....

Grayson Highlands State Park is just one of those places you love! The views are awesome, the trails excellent and then there’s wild ponies ! I brought my daughter and granddaughter with me this time and we all had a very good visit. My granddaughter got such a thrill out of meeting wild ponies and there were so many babies, it was so much fun ;) The campground is quiet and the sites are mostly shaded. There’s good separation between sites, though some are a little more open then others. There are a few sites where you are literally sitting on the edge of a very steep drop off, I avoid these ! There are Trailhead’s within the campground and several other very unique and challenging trails. The shower house was a short walk through the trees. The camp Host was across the road from the shower house and next to the dump site. He had firewood on site and was very helpful and informative. No water sports here , but lotsa hiking and stars.

Beauty in the mountains

Lovely hike with the most beautiful views of both wildlife and the mountain scenery

Absolutely beautiful

We came here as our second ever camping trip and it wasn’t exactly what we were expecting but it was definitely an adventure. It was beautiful and quiet and relaxing. The only thing we were not happy about is the insane amount of bugs in the bathroom. But, ya know North Carolina summers.

A really nice place

We stayed at the Stone Mountain campground 5 nights/6 days, and enjoyed every minute of it. There aren’t many trees between the RV/full hook up sites, but they’re far enough apart that you don’t feel like you’re on top of your neighbor. There is a gorgeous little creek that runs through the middle of the full hook up sites, which made it even more peaceful sitting around the fire at night, and our daughter loved exploring it during the day. The bathhouse was a ways away from our site (53), so we typically rode a bike or drove the truck. This could be problematic for someone with limited mobility, or small children that can’t hold it very long. But it wasn’t really an issue for us. The bathhouse was usually spotless, well stocked with toilet paper, well heated, and not very busy at all. The showers will get pretty warm, which surprised me, and the pressure is pretty good as well. However, you have to push the button down every 10-15 seconds, and the stall is pretty small. They are sufficient for washing off the sweat and dirt from spending a day hiking though. We did a lot of hiking, which is the reason we went. There are a wide assortment of trails, from easy and moderate, all the way to strenuous and advanced. All of them are equally gorgeous, but I highly recommend the loop trail, which takes you by the Stone Mountain falls, then around the base and over the summit of Stone Mountain, and by the Hutchinson homestead. You can also branch off that trail and go to the middle and lower falls, which were also absolutely gorgeous. The summit climb by the Hutchinson homestead is pretty strenuous, but very much worth the views. I’d really recommend taking a blanket and snacks, and resting on the top for a little breather and to take in all that surrounds you. The creek throughout the park is delayed harvest trout waters, which is great for people that enjoy fishing. The creeks are incredibly clear, and so serene. The park doesn’t allow campers to bring in, or harvest their own fire wood, but they do sell bundles at the check in station for $5. The staff was helpful and nice, and the park is very quiet, clean, and family friendly. Keep your eyes open, we saw wild turkey and deer in abundance.

The Best!

I have been coming here for the past 10 years.   It's  one of the best  Campgrounds I have been to anywhere. Not only is it beautiful and well kept like most state parks but the staff has always been tremendous and helpful. And the location is quite perfect. It is set high on the mountain so you get wonderful views easy access to the Appalachian trail And lots of hiking everywhere.

Highly recommend

Such an amazing place! We camped, hiked, and relaxed! Some spaces in campground were a little crowded, but not all sites! Campground was clean and well maintained! The hiking and views from this place was amazing!

One of the best!

This is one of the best Virginia State Parks I have camped at!

The area is just so incredibly beautiful and the park is huge, there is so much to do and explore. The ponies, hikes of all kinds, waterfalls, mountains. It is a trip I will remember forever.

We got a non-site specific tent site reservation so we rolled up and I think we got the best one, site 13. It is the most private and very comfortable. Close to the bathrooms and water. I have no complaints! It was great!

Check out Molly Chomper Cidery if you venture out of the park!