About Mile High Campground
No WiFi
Mile High Campground is located in North Carolina
12 Reviews of Mile High Campground
Great view, quiet camp

We stayed on one of the tent only spaces. Check in was easy, decent sized spot that was private enough. Firewood was delivered to the site for us. The campground was pretty spread out so even though it was full it didn’t feel crowded

Cloudy Views

We were SO excited about this campsite based on the reviews.  I booked well in advance and got site 2 for two nights.  The owners were lovely checking us in and the site had an INCREDIBLE view…at first.  After about an hour while we set up our site, our neighbors at site 3 came back from whatever hike they were on, and then another car pulled up totaling 8 people, 3 tents, a child and two dogs.  I'm all about people camping together and having a good time, but I thought there was a limit to how many tents/humans were allowed per site here.  Needless to say, we could hear every word of their conversations and felt like it really impeded on what we had hoped would be a quiet, rustic experience.  Then the clouds rolled in and we could barely see 5 feet in front of us.  Of course no one can control the weather, but be warned that if the forecast is cloudy, you WILL be COLD and WET.  The temperature dropped to about 45 (in June!) and because it was so wet, it was difficult to keep a fire going.  After a couple hours, my boyfriend and I decided to cancel our second night and move on since the forecast called for more clouds the next day.  The whole reason we booked here was for the views which, sadly, we lost very early on.  Positives: bathrooms were simple and clean, the staff was adamant about adhering to coronavirus precautions (masks, distancing), and we did see some massive Elk roaming in the fog which was pretty cool.  If the weather is good, I'm sure it's great.  But if it's not…you've been warned.

Love it

Favorite campground! RTT friendly. Gorgeous views and sunsets. Great staff!!

Favorite Campground Yet💛

Visited for just one night in mid-August and absolutely loved it. Stayed at T1, which you can’t pull your car up to, but we were able to park a couple hundred feet away. The views are incredible, we were literally in the clouds. I highly recommend this spot. Also lots of butterflies in the area if that’s your thing 🦋

It's rustic

A very quiet campground that does allow you to have a fire in your campsite. There is wood for sale. The bathhouse is very nice. The views from most of the sites are breathtaking.

Campground Close to Smokies and Blue Ridge Parkway with Great Views

This campground is about views. It doesn’t have water or electric hookups. It doesn’t have sewer hookups. It doesn’t have a swimming pool, playground equipment, an entertainment pavilion, or any of the other things many campgrounds and RV resorts have. The biggest attraction for Mile High Campgound is the view, but I guess I should say views(plural). The campground is adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but there is a long approach road to lessen any traffic noise—not that there would be any anyway. It seems to be situated on a ridge, so it offers different views in several directions. The host was nice and suggested that I pick a site before paying. I camped during the week and when it was cold, so I had a good choice of sites. She highlighted the available ones with the best views, and it was difficult to decide which one I liked best. I chose one with a view of a sunset rather than one with a sunrise, knowing I might not get up early enough to catch the sun rise. You can expect it to be at least ten degrees(or more) colder than down in the valleys. There is a reason it is called“Mile High.” This is a primitive campground, and there are no hookups that I know of. There is, however, a bath house with flush toilets and showers. The bath house is a bit rustic, but it serves the purpose. Some people might not like that it has a concrete floor and just one stand up sink, but again, it serves its purpose. There are also“toilet facilities” at opposite ends of the campground since it is a long, narrow campground. Since I forgot to take any firewood, I bought a bundle of kindling for$5.00. I knew I wouldn’t have a long fire anyway. As I mentioned earlier, there are no modern amenities like a swimming pool, playground, or recreation hall. Did I mention that this campground is all about the views? There is a platform for viewing the sunsets close to the camp office. The campground is within a short driving distance of several waterfalls, places to view elk, Harrah’s casino, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, so sticking around the campground all day is not something you probably want to do. The towns of Maggie Valley and Cherokee are close, so if you like shopping, those towns have several quaint shops and other attractions. Overall, this campground is a pleasant campground to stay in because of the peace and quiet and the beauty.

Heaven’s Window

This is the most beautiful campground I have ever been to. Each campsite is huge and surrounded by trees so you barely know that there are other campers. The view of the mountains from your campsite is unbeatable. Running water and sinks by the bathrooms so you can wash dishes. Hot showers and flushing toilets. Very clean. Family run campground. A warning though, the fog on the mountain is intense if you are driving it early in the morning or late at night. And elk are everywhere! Amazing place!!!

Greateat views

Hot showers, bathrooms and some of the the best views in the Smokies.

Brilliant views

Nice campground hosts, firewood on site, good showers. Amazing views from the campsite and the nearby blue ridge parkway.

The scenery is beautiful at Mile High Campground. It has delightful warm showers!