Byrdstown , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Byrdstown Camping Reviews
OMG! O

We stayed for a few days and as a backpacker, the local hikes are some of the best I have ever seen! I would say most of the hikes are moderate, although some say easy. Grandma couldn’t leisurely walk, or scale some of the trails, so you have been warned. But for able bodied persons, the hikes are all doable. There are quite the variety of hike lengths to choose from, from short and squatty, to full day hikes. I’ll submit some of my favorite shots below. For RVs - I was towing a 21 ft trailer and my site at the bottom of the hill, which was away from other campers, but the grade was ridiculous! I had 6” of block height to level side to side! I heard other complaints from other longer tongue pullers as well, regarding the difficulty getting into their sites. Most of the sites are small, too close to other campers, or too close to the smell of the privies. But if you are hiking the area, I think the stay could be worth some of the hassle. There is a pull through dump station on the loop. There is electric and water. Tent campers - probably have plenty of room to spread out, some with power hookups and the convenience of showers at a central bathhouse. Daytime picnics - a beautifully large area to choose from and see. Lots of selections, all of them very well social distanced, family friendly and shaded with trees. Soooo much to see.

Great Family Camping

The only reason I went with 4 stars is the fact that the camping spots are a little close together for my liking. Other than that, the staff were very nice, there are great amenities, and the bathrooms were clean. We would not hesitate to camp here again.

We only stayed one night passing through. But wished we had more time! The sites were level, large, gravel with picnic tables and fire rings.spaced far enough apart you didn’t feel crowded at all. We didn’t use the laundry or bathhouse so I can’t comment on those. The campground was very nice with what seems to be lots to do, as far as hiking and sightseeing. Will definitely keep this one in mind on another trip!

Great State Park

Cumberland Mountain State Park has everything you need for a great time outdoors. Located near Crossville, the park is close to restaurants, shopping, a winery, and some antique shops too, if you want to venture out. Crossville is on the Cumberland Plateau, and even in the middle of summer, it is very pleasant at night, and even with the park being fully booked, it was so quiet and peaceful! The park has a lake with kayak, canoe, and paddle board rentals, and fishing is allowed. I saw several playgrounds in different areas of the park, and it’s really good for bike riding. The office has any essentials you might need. I had a site in area 3, which has water and electric, it was pretty much level and very spacious. I did make a note that area 1 has full hookups, so I plan to try to get a spot in there next time, even though the spots looked a little smaller. This is a really nice state park.

Getting Teens to Camp

Hard to get teens to camp with no WiFi, but Pickett had so much to do that we didn’t get done. They cannot wait to go back 😊

Stay somewhere else

Bathhouse ; showers are so outdated and barley cleaned and just gross, water source is old and campground manager didn’t follow up with me. Grounds are kept nice, has store and dishwashing station . Only one bathhouse open and I don’t think they cleaned it once all week. Stay elsewhere! Brown nasty water and so much garbage.

Great Place to Relax

Easy to get to with loads of appeal. Most sites are spaced apart but close enough to make new friend like we did. Any site is well kept along with all the grounds. Bath houses are cleaned thoroughly every morning. Playgrounds are cleaned everyday. Walking around you will find wildlife. Lots of deer and turtles and birds. The beach is great and right next to the marina. Some sites only have electric at the higher numbers but there is a station to fill your tank with drinkable water. The non water sites are quiet and most are shaded. I will be back in this fall.

Very Nice Campground

We stayed in tent site 19. I think it is definitely the best site in the campground. Sites 19 and 20 are a couple of the only sites with any privacy. Site 19 is a walk in (down) but the site itself is huge and the tent platform is built out on a rock outcrop. Overall the campground is nice but the other sites are very close together. The rangers/camp hosts came by while we were gone to warn us about bear activity in the campground, you do need to be careful with food. We went to see the moonbow so it was fairly busy while we were there. We also took a hike to Eagles Falls where it seems to be clothing optional swimming…lol It didn’t bother us but just an FYI. We had a very relaxing 3 days at Cumberland Falls, would definitely recommend it.

Secluded in the Mountains

Paved spots with lots of shade. Bathrooms are clean. Bathhouse has an outside sink and a water bottle fountain to refill your bottles. Lots of hiking in the surrounding area. Each site has a food storage box.

Our favorite yet

Of all of our stays so far (RV resorts, state parks, private campground)…Defeated Creek is our hands-down favorite. **Edited to say…salt lick has it beat in our opinion. It was beautiful, clean and peaceful. Our beautifully shaded site backed up to Cordell Hull Lake, and we had front row seating to the most exquisite sunsets. People were very friendly and the general consensus was that defeated creek is everyone’s favorite campground. And we have our eye 👁 on site #71 for next time! Primo spot! We had site #47 and it was massive…plenty of room for everything even our cornhole set. Book way ahead…it books up fast.

Tip💡: follow WAZE directions rather than RV Trip Wizard!!! Trip wizard took us a bass ackward way through winding narrow back roads only to end up on the highway we were originally on!👎🏻