the dyrt
Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About McCargoe Cove Campground
McCargoe Cove Campground is located in McCargoe Cove, on the north shore of Isle Royale National Park, off of the Indian Portage and East Chickenbone Trails. Consecutive night stay limit is three nights from June 1 - Labor Day annually. Three individual tent sites, six shelters, and three group tent sites are available. Normal conditions for depth at dock is 7'. Boats can overnight at dock. Canoe/kayak access from Lake Superior or 1.2 mile portage from Chickenbone Lake. ADA Access: The campground is open from April 16 - October 31 (the park operating season) annually, 24 hours a day.
National Park Service
No Electric Hookups
McCargoe Cove Campground is located in Michigan
Directions
2 Reviews of McCargoe Cove Campground
Our First stop on the Island

A small group of family and friends left the luxuries of home to backpack thirty miles in Isle Royale National Park. It was an amazing experience and I look forward to taking the rest of my children here as they grow up.

The first leg of our journey was a boat ride from Grand Portage, Minnesota to McCargoe Cove. We did not do much backpacking the first day. We did hike around the area and set up camp to take it easy our first night. We elected to stay in our own tents, but those who wanted more amenities could take advantage of several small shelters built in each camp.

Other than Windigo and Rock Harbor, there are no amenities other than some shelters and latrines.

McCargoe Cove is set in a cove right off Lake superior, so this spot is especially popular with the fishermen since there is a nice dock and ease of access for their boats. This was a nice place to stay but it wasn't my favorite.

I tried some new food at McCargoe Cove that I highly recommend: NOKA - Mango/Coconut was fantastic.

Gorgeous and Serene

We stayed at McCargoe Cove two of our four nights at ISRO and absolutely loved it. The shelters are very secluded from one another so you won't be on top of the group next to you at all. Nice fire ring down by the water - though not much downed wood very close nearby to get a fire going.

This was my favorite spot that we saw on the island, would recommend to anybody. Absolutely gorgeous and peaceful in the morning. Best spot I've had had a cup of coffee.

We had a fox come through our site right outside the door of our shelter too - way cool.