About Wayne Fitzgerald State Park

No WiFi
Wayne Fitzgerald State Park is located in Illinois
3 Reviews of Wayne Fitzgerald State Park
Great lake views here

I tried to camp here in the primitive tent area, however the primitive campground was closed and I could not find anyone who could tell me when or if it would reopen. There was a sign stating it was closed in October due to staffing issues. So I took a drive through the Class A campground just to see it. Here’s what I discovered: the primitive section is far removed from the Class A (by a mile or two). The Class A section is HUGE! There were several loops and spurs, including one set aside for volunteers only and one that was for Reserve America only (I’ve never seen that before). I am guessing that the primitive section has some lake access or views like the Class A section does (and the lake views are great!). Looks like a burn was done recently to clear out brush and fall leaves along the backs of a couple of loops.  There is a bike trail that seems to go throughout the park but is in pretty bad shape. I would not use a good bike on this and would bring some patches and spare tubes. All sites had the requisite picnic tables and fire rings. There were two campground host sites, but no one seemed on duty to answer my questions. All of the spring flowers were blooming in the woods along the bike trail, which was nice to look at as I bounced down the lanes.

Hidden and nice

The campground offers a wide variety of sites from RV to primitive. For a tent camper, spots were level and nice. The facilities are clean and well maintained. The camp is close to the lake and offers several places to throw your pole in. There is a short hiking trail that will take you to the resort. All in all a nice place to stay.

Close to the lake

We stay here every year during duck hunting season it is awesome because you are so close to Rend to where it's not that big of a hassle to wake up in the early morning and get to a good spot