the dyrt
Drive In, Boat In
Johnson Sauk Trail State Park is located in Illinois
3 Reviews of Johnson Sauk Trail State Park
Open but shady

This campground is located just north of Kewanee, Illinois. It has a lake with seasonal canoe, kayak and paddle boat rentals and a cafe. The trails are fairly short but can be combined to include 8 miles of trail. The campground is not terribly big but has a shower house in addition to some pit toilets. One large section of the campground is walk up non-electric sites in a grove of pine trees. It’s lovely! Perfect for hammocks. Shady but open enough to get a breeze. There are electric sites as well but, since I tent camp, I’m. It familiar with those. No issues with noise either. As a matter of fact, I camped over a perfect July weekend and the campground host wasn’t even there all weekend and there were no issues.

Hammock trees for days!

We are never really looking for much out of a campground on the way back home after being out west for a month. Just a place to set up, preferably with enough space between other campers. We love when we can hang our hammocks and when there's a place for our pups to cool off and swim around. This place had all of that-- plus showers! Very private, camp hosts were sweet and helpful and there were a ton of little produce carts around (mostly veggies- corn, tomatoes, cukes ect) which was really awesome to add a local feel to our dinner that night. Would totally recommend this place!

Johnson Sauk Trail SP is better than I anticipated

Driving up to Johnson Sauk Trail State Park was pretty boring. As I passed through flat cornfields my expectations were pretty low. My GPS took me to an old entrance on the North side of the park. FYI if your GPS tells you to turn on N. 1300th Avenue, ignore it and continue driving south about 2 miles. If you ignore my advice you will find the old sign post without the sign. It is one of the pictures I have included.

The park is very clean with a nice lake. The RV/Camper section of the campground has some trees and some wide open spaces. The Tent section of the campground is in the middle of these huge pine trees. It is pretty cool and has a real nice effect.

There is a huge red barn that is an attraction in the middle of the park. It has several walking trails. I don't think I would classify them as hiking trails, but nice for beginners.