Winchester , IDAHO

Most Recent Winchester Camping Reviews
Great for RVs and Day use

I visited but did not stay here because I could not hang my hammock at the sites.

Overall I found the area to be nice, especially the day use areas. I would plan a bbq here in the future and plan to return if they are still open when I’m done with my backpacking years. It looked very accommodating for people who don’t get around so well.

Great dispersed camping areas

My favorite price for a camp site is free. After buying all my camping gear (including winter gear) I have preferred to get out and rough it.

There’s a doc on a small pond that’s great for fishing or drinking a few in some camping chairs.

This place is open in the winter. I want to come back and have my try at ice fishing but I’m waiting to buy a nice pair of snow shoes to be able to get in during mid-winter.

Clean and private!

The restrooms here are some of the cleanest of the campgrounds in the area.

This camp site is not open year round but I’m not exactly sure when it closes. I came here to do some late fall camping and it was closed.

But I have been here on two other occasions, as it’s close by and often is not full. There is a place to pump water which makes packing in a bit less work. I still filter the water because you never know.

It’s not gravel, but paved areas so walking barefoot was comfy minus the occasional rock.

With wildlife right on your doorstep and Deary just a stones throw away, you won’t regret staying in this area.

I always go to The Pie Safe when I visit one of the three campsites in this region. You should too! It’s amazing.

Three Rivers Resort in Idaho

So, I’m not sure why “resort” is in the title, this certainly not a resort in the traditional sense. But, this is a great place to stop if headed up the Lochsa River and has something for everyone.

The “resort” has riverfront cabins, double occupancy motel rooms, A frame cabins, RV spots with hookups and a large tent camping area for motorcyclists, bicyclists and hikers. The mix of campers makes thing interesting. Add to this that the river raft guides take out at this location and this is a busy and fun place to spend a night. It has been very busy every time I have stopped, often full of RV’s with families spending a long weekend.

There is a small market, restaurant and bar, and an outdoor pool and hot tub. The market is well stocked with most of what you might have forgot to pack. They sell firewood as well. The bar offers typical burgers and bar fare and was lively enough even in peak Covid. This is Idaho after all, Covid seems like an afterthought in most of central and North Idaho.

The resort is located along a sweeping bend of the Lochsa river, which the highway follows on the opposite side. With the proximity of the highway, the RV’s in the campground, the cabins, etc, this is not a tranquil wilderness campground. It is however a great spot to spend the night while passing through.

I was on a motorcycle and there were probably 8-10 other riders tent camping. Several fires were going and folks were friendly and outgoing. There was no cell service for AT&T, but the market and bar had WiFi that you could access by sitting outside the front door.

I’ve stayed here 3 times and it will always be on my list when passing through this part of Idaho.

Beautiful lake front campsites!

The camp host is very nice. In the morning there is a beautiful fog that comes off the water. The sites have varying amount of privacy so you can find a spot that suits your preferences. There are fishing and small boat docks. I’ve been up here a lot! It’s my favorite close by paid camping ground.

There are some trails at the end of the campground that trail up and around and connect to trails that lead back to campground areas. Dogs are permitted!

If you get extra time, take a day lunch trip to The Pie Safe nearby. You won’t regret it!

Beautiful Camping!

This is a backpacking trail. The first half mile is difficult but then the trail levels out and is easy for many miles. There’s free dispersed camping sites starting after 4.5 miles down the trail. There was wood on site when we went in July 2020. It is possible to get to the water (if you have a hydration filter pack), but it’s not a beach like shore. I did swim, and the water gets very deep very quickly off the first two campsites. This was my favorite trip this year so far, as it was a good challenge with very rewarding views.

Beautiful area, ok camping

Beautiful area, incredibly scenic and photographable, but a few things to be aware of.

There is a heck of a drive to get into this place, there’s a very winding and steep road to get there and it took us about an hour from White Bird. That being said, it was a very lovely and scenic drive, and based on the number of trailers and boats that were down there it doesn’t seem to deter many people. Just be aware you’ll want to come prepared with whatever you’ll need while you’re there because it’s not a quick ride back into town to get supplies (and make sure you have enough gas in your tank)

Also, word of warning to any dog owners; I discovered as soon as we unloaded from the vehicle that there are sticky burs absolutely everywhere on the ground and our furry labradoodle was soon covered with them. The first thing we did when we got back into cell phone range was call and schedule him a grooming appointment to get shaved because they were on every inch of his body and would be impossible to comb out.

The campsites are all pretty close together and since this is a desert area there are very few trees, so you will be able to see your fellow campers and they will be able to see you. Each site has a little canopy thing for both shade and I suspect some wind protection (it got extremely windy one of the nights we were there).

It was $8 a night when I was there in August 2020. There was a burn restriction in place from July 1st to September 15th according to posted signs.

If you do not have a trailer, there are some dispersed camping sites at the “Upper Landing” that are clearly marked. They are walk in only but didn’t appear to be too far to walk and seem that they would afford a bit more privacy if that’s what you’d looking for.

Pricey and not very private

Decent campground, but I likely wouldn’t stay there again. $20 per night, hookups are available and there were most RVers there. The spaces were all very close together so there wasn’t much privacy. Bathrooms seemed reasonably clean and there was fresh water spigots available. I got there on a Thursday night on August 27th and most of the non-reservable spots were full, we may have actually pulled into the last available space. If you turn left towards the Giant Cedar trailhead instead of right towards the campground there are a number of free dispersed camping sites along that road, they looked pretty private and spacious. If we have known that before we paid we would have stayed in one of those instead. We drove up that road and up the mountain and went on a short hike to Perkins Cedar Grove, the forest was beautiful and well worth a visit.

A family favorite

There are 46 water and electric sites and 22 standard sites. Most sites are wooded and private. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The lake is perfect for kayaking and fishing. Only 45 minutes from Lewiston, ID, Winchester Lake State Park is becoming one of our favorites!

Lots of amenities

This reservoir camping area has many amenities which make it nice. Great docks on the water, swimming, fishing, bathrooms, trash cans, and even a fish cleaning station. I like how the RV sites have water and electricity unlike most campgrounds in the area. This campground is located conveniently near Troy, and is about a 25 minute drive to Moscow. There is also a large Pavilion which is perfect for a large get together.