Hilltop , GEORGIA

Most Recent Hilltop Camping Reviews
Overlander finally pitched a tent

I stopped into Atlanta for a few nights and wanted a covid-safe accommodations and a spot to hike and shoot photography. Sweetwater Creek camping was sort of primitive camping in a city setting. You could definitely hear traffic going by the camp site as a thoroughfare runs through the park. The bathroom facilities and shower were among the cleanest I’ve seen on the road and the hiking was really great. Not busy at all in the early AM. Kudos to the camp host and staff. Although I always prefer sleeping in the back of my Land Cruiser, I’d pitch a tent and definitely stay again for a couple nights in the future.

Really nice place to camp.

Big campsites on beautiful lake. Stayed at site 38. Great stay.

Hidden gem

Great spot! Primitive only. Bathrooms were far from camp spots but portor potties were nearby.

Beautiful Park

Lots of great hiking. 2 playgrounds were open. Playgrounds are brand new or at least they look brand new. I am 225 lbs and I played on all the equipment with my daughter. The bathrooms were cleaner than my bathroom at home. The dogs loved the hiking and the river is beautiful with the fall colors. There are so many small trails that are shortcuts around this park. After 2 days, you will feel like a local getting around. There is ice at the visitor center along with snacks and souvenirs. I look forward to my next visit.

Great sites, friendly people, nice trails nearby

Check in was quick and easy. We had an amazing site with a great waterfront view perfect for sunsets. Kids thoroughly enjoyed playing at the edge of the water. The nearby restroom was old but serviceable and the playground was small. Trailhead is a short drive and the trails we went on were very nice. Late checkout (3pm) was so nice. Overall, a great campground. Will definitely return in the future.

Great Walk Up Tent Sites

Really gorgeous park. Has a great 5 mile trail that is basically no elevation besides some small hills, that is right on the river. Even on hot days you catch a cool breeze off the river making it a nice, easy hike. Massive observation tower is very cool. Facilities are always clean and staff has always been friendly. Office does sell firewood and some gifts.

5.7 miles

Not a bad walk, super up and down but not overly exhausting. Backcountry 21 is the best spot if you get to choose.

Love it!

Great campground!! Spots are beautiful and the town is nice.

Nice State Park Campground

We had a great time at this park - we had adjacent spots with freinds in spot 32 and shared a big grassy area between us.  The campground was very clean and the lots in the loop we were on (23-34) we very big and was pretty quiet.  The other lots were smaller but a little more wooded.  The bath house by us was newer than the others and was very clean.  The visitor center had very basic needs and the museum was very eduational about the area, and the staff was very friendly and helpful at both.  We got the kayaks out on the lake and paddled a couple miles plus there are playgrounds all over for the kids to enjoy.  With this being an hour out of ATL we can see this becoming a regular stop.  Next visit we will check out Dauset nature center.

Hikers dream!

With 40 miles of trails it’ll take us many visits to hike them all. We had six nights in March 2020 and managed ten miles of the Pine Mountain Trail’s 25 miles. Wolf Den Loop trail has five waterfalls within five miles of the Pine Mountain Trail and the loop is completed with 2.4 miles White Candle Trail. That was a full day for us the next day we did Dowdell’s Knob Loop that has some beautiful vistas and a memorial to the parks namesake. When you’re worn out from hiking the Liberty Bell pool offers great relief a strikingly beautiful pool with a flagstone bottom. Nearby is the towns of Pine Mountain and Warm Springs. I recommend Chipley’s Chicken in Pine Mountain and the Little White House and FDR museum in Warm Springs. A little farther afield is Plains Ga. where President Jimmy Carter grew up and lives to this day. The small farm he grew up on has been made into a National Historic site with recorded narration by the President. The Plains High School has also been turned into a museum.