The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Wallace , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Wallace Camping Reviews
Quick Camping

Woodward is our family go to place to camp in the summer heat. Lots of campsites with room for tents or RVs. Fire pits and picnic tables at each site. Plenty of bathrooms, some with showers. Usually somewhat clean. Water feels good when it's 100+ degrees outside. Good prices. And you can bring your dogs.

Quiet, nice pool area, many cycling opportunities

I brought both my mtb and road bike. On my mtb I followed Badger Hill Rd which is a gravel road that gradually descends 500 ft over 2.5 miles through the forest then turned right onto a trail just prior to a bridge crossing a creek.  The trail follows the creek for awhile before it looped back to the campground. 34 mile round trip road bike ride passes many Apple Hill farms and uses a nice paved bike trail into Placerville. Routes to Jenkinson Lake also an option.

Camp here twice.

We live close by so going to camp in Sly Park, seems weird. However, I have had at least two kids camping trips here. Sly Park lake is great! We love kayaking on it, especially to the waterfall. It has vault toilets and they are pretty clean. I like that Chimney is close to the water however, this location really does not have a beach. It can be quite busy at times as it is also a day use area.

Been here many times

We have come here many times. It’s a neat little area. The kids can ride their bikes, play in the park, they have a volley ball net and have had outdoor movies. The lake is great, we have even rented boats and gone out. The kids loved the fishing pond. Wind can be strong at times. Deer do like to come through. I don’t recommend the middle of summer as it can be really hot.

Lake Camanche South Shore

Site: Monument Condition: Clean, fairly spacious RV sites Internet: Poor

Restrictions

This campground is only open to Stanislas County residents.

South Shore, Coyote Flats

Wicked August heat, BUT there’s the lake!

5 Stars — were it not for the SLOBS who preceded us!!🤔😡 We were a party of six, in 2 adjacent sites nearest the lake, spent the first 30+ minutes policing up ALL manner of trash; some of it appeared to have been there for YEARS, “literally” — no pun intended…

NOTE 1: We were there Tues-Thurs, only 3 - 4 other parties in the WHOLE place. It totally fills up on weekends, so our experience could be mitigated by crowds, partying!

NOTE 2: There is NO overflow parking. So if you have more than 2 vehicles you have to pay for an additional site. We all could have fit in one site but had to buy 2 sites since we had 3 vehicles and a boat/trailer.

Some sites have plenty of shade, some none, which would be killer in the heat! Great, QUIET time. When the lake is down (like now) it’s a bit of a haul to the water — cart/wagon recommended, as well as a shade pop-up AT water’s edge. Great for just floating around, having a beer or 3. Fishing attempted, no prizes….

STUNNING, ever-changing sunsets — pics don’t do justice!

Large sites, picnic table, and substantial fire ring with primitive grill. Ample water stations, only porta-potties. There are group (double) sites, [not currently available with Covid-19 restrictions]. Some sites are reasonably isolated from “neighbors,” some not. Those closest to the water are preferable. About ½ mile walk to the store, longer when the lake-level is higher.

We will DEFINITELY be back, with friends!!! Our party’s booker reports their website was a bit tricky.

Second Trip

I added pictures this time. Stayed the first weekend in August. Spot 117 again. You can see to the right we were able to fit 3 cars and a 10x20 tent. To the left is our screen tent where we kept the food since it was shaded all day. Other good sites up here are 111 (full shade all day) and 113 with the awesome lake view.

One of my favorite places!

My family and I do a big camping trip here every year, for the past 6 years. We love it. We’ve been there during drought years and when the water is back at normal levels. Typically when we go is summer, late July to early August, and majority of the grass is dead and it’s HOT, but the water makes up for it. The water isn’t freezing, it’s usually pretty warm. The lake isn’t huge, but makes for great boating. The only downsides are: tends to be a lot of trash/bottle caps/etc and not even trash can space, the shores in certain areas are filled with big rocks and don’t make it very fun for trying to swim in the water, and shade can be limited depending on where you’re staying. Weekends are filled up and busy, but during the week days it’s nice and quiet.

Easy spot for a quick trip

I have stayed here many times when we just need to camp and don’t have time to get away. It is super close in town, easy walk to the water from the campground, lots of paved trails for biking and walks. It is also a major draw for people who are just camping to be loud and drink heavily. To each their own for sure, but don’t count on it being the quietest place you’ll ever stay. Bathrooms and showers, potable water. Gets HOT so come prepared.