The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Scotland , PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Scotland Camping Reviews
Beautiful camping area near DC

This is a great but very crowded camping area. Clearly a favorite of many DC area campers. We arrived on a Friday around 6 and found every campsite full. We ended up at an overflow site. Get there early if at all possible! And if it’s mostly full, look for breaks in the brush where other cats have pulled off. There are usually fire pits to be found near them. Campsites are well-distanced from each other. We did not hear others while we were there.

Additionally, this is not a great campground for cars that are low to the ground— the roads are gravelly, potholed, and very slow to navigate in a passenger vehicle with low clearance.

The area is gorgeous! Beautiful mountains and nature. Lots of critters and plants to check out.

Bring your own water— none available as far as I could tell. There was a creek a few hundred feet from our site, but it was too steep to get to for bathing or washing dishes (we tried).

Sites vary in distance from the road. Our overflow site was far enough that we could see the cars but not so close that them going by woke us. We could also hear nose from the interstate, but it fades into the background after a couple hours. We estimated we were 1/4 mile from the interstate as the crow flies.

There are fun activities nearby as well. We saw the tunnel at Paw Paw and went to Cumberland. You can apparently rent kayaks from a man nearby, but he prefers to take groups. Drop by his store the day before to see if you can get in on the action.

Major con outweighs all the pros

The forest is beautiful & every site is very nicely set up & well distanced from each other. I say this just from what we saw driving by. We drove around for at least 2 hours looking for a spot, finally gave up & made our own. The system definitely needs major improvements. Just incredibly & unnecessarily frustrating.

We got lucky! 🍀

My boyfriend and I planned a roadtrip on a whim & we happened upon Green Ridge State Forest. We were not sure what to expect and if we would even find a solid spot, but clearly our last minute planning served us well. The best spots are found at the end of the long road (I recommend traveling 4x4) and offer complete seclusion in nature. This site not only boasts a large space, but a picnic table and fire pit!

More of an RV camping spot

My friends and I booked a spot at this campground after visiting Harrisburg, PA. When we arrived, our expectations were let down by the quality of the campsite simply because of its proximity to its neighbors, the site setup and the limited space for our tents. I give it 4 stars because I am sure all of the problems we experienced would not been a huge deal if we were in an RV. Seemed like a great spot for kids/families especially because it had access to a swimming spot.

Really great pool

The pool here is top notch and it's good for fishing but the hiking isn't super great. We did have a nice bat spotting walk with a Ranger when we were there and there's an interesting historic mill you can tour. The camping area was pretty hilly and not super large but it gets the job done. I'd recommend visiting the nearby huckleberry natural area to see one of the oldest living plants in the world and Hall's Dairy for excellent ice cream.

Solid State Park Campground

This place is best if you're into fishing but it has the basics covered. Good bathrooms, a beach, and some hiking around the lake. It's also pretty convenient to Harrisburg, Gettysburg, and Hershey if you want things to do. It also has some nice birding.

A nice family site

Definitely not as spread out as we had originally thought BUT it’s a really nice site if you’re looking to get your kids into camping there’s plenty for them to do and see. Now if you’re looking for more of a private place to camp this probably isn’t the place for you as the sites are pretty much on top of each other! That being said definitely worth the money especially if you’re really only there for a night

One of my favorites

We spend a few weekends a year here. Nice campground, great Halloween weekend. We stay in A loop

We travel here from PA every year for their Halloween weekend and returned one summer to enjoy the other options for activities. They have tons of things for Children including a waterpark, a jumping pillow, ziplining, trick or treating, haunted trails, etc. The options are endless.

After you get here, theres no reason to leave because they have a store on site as well as an icecream shop!

Crowded Tent area and chiggers

I came for a hike and quick one night tent escape. I had never been and reserved a tent site online. When I arrived, someone was in my spot. After working it out and came back I noticed just how crowded it was. Lots literally right on top of each other. Felt like everyone there was in the same group but we obviously weren’t. Went to front gate and got a much more isolated tent spot (front gate said they were ALL the same size and privacy and I can tell you he was very wrong). After we pitched in the new spot, all was good. Then I left and woke up with a serious case of chigger bites. Not the best experience to say the least