The best TENT SITES camping near

108 Reviews

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Wilmington Camping Reviews
Great Urban Setting

Sites were open and level. All roads were One Ways which was nice for flow. WiFi was strong and reliable, actually quite surprisingly nice). Firewood was a bit expensive.

Laundry was acceptable but not impressive. Playground was nice with many apparatus but the ground was all sand (not my favorite).

We were close to groceries and many amenities. I only wish were were closer to the beach but that’s not their fault. We would definitely stay here again.

Simple But Fine

If you're heading here to visit the beach, it's a great spot. You're about a five minute drive to the beach which is very convenient. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well and they had a massive selection of movies to rent which was cool. The campground itself was fine, the spots are a little small and it's next to some sketchy looking properties. Some great restaurants in the area as well.

Hidden in Holden

Close to the beach and easy to find backside parking. Do not let the drive deter you, it was an easy daily drive. Had a site next to “permanent bathroom” and trash area. So the smell wasn’t the best towards pickup time. The spots were nicely landscaped and we felt cozy. Lots of long term campers which gave it an odd mobile home vibe though. Photo shows how close we were to bathrooms….

Great place, mosquitos are brutal

We camped here Wed through Sat for my son's fall break. We arrived on Wed afternoon around 4pm. I was wearing leggings and the mosquitos literally landed on my leggings and bit me through them. I didn't even know that could happen. I should have left the campsite then and gone to Walmart, 17 min away, and bought enough bug spray and candles for the weekend but we set up the campsite instead. We just got back so camped the first week in October, site 17. For the four days, I had two citronella candles, one on the picnic table and one near our camping chairs, a thermocell fogger in the tent (ran for about an hour before we went in to go to sleep)  and then two bottles of 40% deet spray…one for our car when we came back to the campsite and one on the picnic table. We brought our kayaks and launched from both the Carolina Beach State Park marina and also Trails End public access (intercoastal waterway). Both were great with plenty of parking while we were there. There are VERY large yachts in the trails end area which are cool to see, just be careful when paddling that area. We fished at both places and also at Carolina beach from the surf. I caught a HUGE drum there. Lots of dogs off of leashes (rules change Oct 1st) so that was cool to see. We mostly cooked at the campsite but ate dinner at Sea Witch Cafe one night. The place is dog friendly, which we needed, and the food was reasonably priced and so good. The park rangers lock the gates at 9pm and they don't open until 7am so you have to plan accordingly. This wasn't an issue for us, we just watched the clock and made sure we were back. Beach is about 6 min away, Walmart is about 17 min or so, several grocery stores nearby (Food Lion, Publix). Overall, it was a great trip, I just wasn't prepared initially for the mosquitos. I got 90 bites that first day. I even had to constantly spray down my dog to keep the mosquitos off of her. It was a bit much. Definitely put all of your food in your car or at a minimum in your tent. Raccoons come nightly. :) We lost a quesadilla, some dog food, etc.

Very clean and fun

Great sites, fishing pier, playground great for kids, close to shopping and other stuff

Fantastic area and vibe

We visited this area last summer, but didn't camp there. However we did spend a lot of time in area. This campground is directly across the street from the beach. The beach is beautiful and the landscaping has rock formations scattered through it. It's a somewhat remote feel to this area even though it's not far from Carolina Beach. There is also a aquarium, and museum down the road if you need a history or education fix. Down South of it is bald island a access to a ferry that will take you to Southport. Next time we come back to this area we will definitely camp here.

Quiet, cozy and relaxing

My wife and I were looking for a place to escape for a couple of days. We found this campground and decided to go. This place is wonderful. The sites are far enough apart you don’t get interrupted by the neighboring campsites but the campground isn’t so big you have to drive everywhere. We had a shaded site, which most of the sites there are shaded, it had full hook ups and a fire ring. The staff was helpful and very easy to approach about any issues that would come up. There is a playground for kids and I could see our kids riding their bikes around with no issues at all. It is very short ride to the beach and there is a grocery store, ice cream shop, and a few restaurants nearby. I cannot wait to go back. We stayed at site 4.

Amazing staff & campground!

Being a travel nurse, I go through many campgrounds however this has by far been my favorite. The little things like the laundry being 24/7 to the staff who truly made the campground amazing are things that I’ll remember and am very thankful for! The staff were spectacular and very helpful/friendly!

Not my vibe

Camp Clearwater is mostly permanent structures, this definitely isn’t wilderness camping. We didn’t end up staying at our site once we saw how busy it was The swimming beach wasn’t clean, but it was a fun place for kids to play.

We love it

Nice and private. Very clean and everyone is very friendly.