The best TENT SITES camping near
Kitty Hawk , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Kitty Hawk Camping Reviews
Feels like home

This campground was basically our summer home growing up! So many good memories! Had the opportunity to bring my husband and kiddos there and it was exactly like I remembered! ❤

FHU, 30/50amp and right on the beach!

Windy

This is a tough place. Big winds and lots of rain. Trucks on the beach everywhere.

Town to get fish a long way away.

Grilling tough in the wind.

Get long tent stakes.

Great Campsite Close to Beach

Spent 4 days here in our rooftop tent and really enjoyed ourselves. Warm outdoor showers are provided. The bathrooms are some of the cleanest I’ve seen. Campsites on the outer edges (odd numbers) are more spread apart. They also back up into dunes or brush which give you somewhat of a “woodsy” feel, which I appreciated. We had the beach access pass and drove on during the days to hang out which was great. Also, conveniently located to town so you don’t feel too far removed. Please note, they DO NOT allow wood burning fires, however they provide grills on each site for charcoal burning fires only. This app led us to believe they did allow campfires so it was a bummer to find out otherwise. Overall a good spot. Definitely worth a trip.

Road noise

This campground was nice. But the road noise was terrible. The first night we were in one of the sites right next to the road and there was traffic all night long. The second night we stayed at one of the sites over closer to the beach and it was a little better. FYI it is a longer walk than you think to the beach. We weren’t carrying any beach supplies but I can imagine with chairs, cooler etc. it could be qu a chore. The warm showers were awesome! Outside the noise the campsite was nice. Very convenient to a lot of things to see and do in the Outer Banks.

Nice beach access

Smaller campground which we liked, on the beach. Restrooms older but clean. Quiet at night, ocean breezes. Owner allowed us to change check in date with no penalty. Sunrise at Cape Hatteras the highlight!

RVs Only / Strict & unwelcoming

Mostly full time RVs, in a tight knit, very small/super quiet community. Its an RV community (nice RVS only) not a campground. We felt like outsiders on our own site. Strict management, always watching you, it was really an unenjoyable stay. Our site was pretty on the pond, thats why im giving 2 stars. No fires allowed. No tents allowed, and don't touch the grass! They are watching. The management had a problem with our camp van. Really can't express enough how rude management was. VERY judgemental and controlling, and if you don't fit in, they let you know. I was googling other campgrounds in the area within 5 minutes of being there. (Outer banks Campground is where we are trying next)

Second Visit Just As Good as the First

The lull of the ocean just over the dunes is the best reason to stay here. Very peaceful to fall asleep to. Definitely one of my favorite spots.

Closed 09/2020

Closed 08/2020

OK

It's OK, typical RV park, sites close together. They don't want older RVs.

Extremely cramped & unsafe

We rolled in today for a four night stay at Ocean waves Campground. Based on the reviews we thought it would be great place. Everything went fine in check in. However when drove in, it was the tightest, most crowded campsite we’d ever seen. When we got to our site we saw that it was incredibly cramped and was a 90° back in with too many cars at adjacent sides to make it even possible to make the turn.

Additionally, our site (that was to accommodate our trailer and a tent) was a small concrete pad surrounded by grass that was under several inches of water. The electrical hook up post was in a huge puddle unsafe to navigate.

While the adjacent campers in full Trump regalia looked on, I booked a site at the adjacent KOA. Staff was grouchy at my insistence that the site would not do and was unsafe, but did refund all but one nights stay.