The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Chester Center , CONNECTICUT

Most Recent Chester Center Camping Reviews
Equestrian campground near trails in a state forest

It's hard to find much information about this equestrian, first come, first serve campground in Connecticut's Pachaug State Forest. The best source I could find was https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Parks/Recreation-Information/Horseback-Riding---CT-State-Parks-and-Forests

Campsites are located around a loop with a couple of composting toilets near the entrance. Water is available. There's space your your camping gear as well as a trailer and horseline. About half the sites were occupied in late October.

Three horseback riding loops leave from the campground. There's also fishing and hiking available in the forest.

Basic campground with hiking trails in the area.

This small state park campground offers basic campsites with running water and showers, open Memorial Day to Columbus Day.  This is NOT Wolf's Den Family Campground in E. Haddam, CT. Also, be aware there are 2 campgrounds at this State Park; the other one, Mashamoquet Brook, does not offer running water/showers, so if you want these amenities, be sure to select a campsite 1-35.

There's a small playground in the middle of the loop, a number of hiking trails throughout the park along with a few geocaches (download details for offline use a phone connection is spotty), a swimming pond, and a small brook with an old mill and blacksmith shop that is sometimes open on weekends for tours. It's a nice place to explore and have a picnic. In 2020 with Covid, there were restrictions on visitors to the campground, reservations required, and swimming was not allowed.

The parking pads are paved and a few have overhanging branches, but the trees provide  separation and some shade on largely open sites that tend to open up toward the back with open areas for pitching tents. Sites have fire rings with grills and picnic tables. Site 20 is the only one with electric. The ones toward the back of the loop back up toward the woods and give you some more privacy.

They don't allow hammocks in the trees or pets. For some reason, silly string also makes the list of prohibitions.

Stomping grounds

I grew up in town, was always a good park to have family get togethers and go on dates. Recently went camping in our pull behind, met some old friends and had a great time. Rangers have a hardon for people screwing up tho. Think they're all that and then some…

Great family friendly beach campground destination

We’ve read some reviews , but we surprised how nice this place is , large sights , mostly families , not loud , descent bathrooms, warm showers , nice beaches , great hiking and bird watching .

Friendly staff . Amazing sunset scene . We enjoyed , mid August staying for 3 nights , if we had time , would’ve stay longer .

Peaceful 4th of July 2020

This campsite is near the shore in my home state of CT. It took a little over an hour to get here. Our spot was near a large salt marsh.

The park and beach were full occupancy for campers without reservations. I saw no tents - maybe due to COVID. There are ample bathhouses but the one near me is locked up. I suspect the others may also be closed.

A pair of geese and their goslings came to visit. See video and pictures.

No campfires allowed without a fire pit. You can rent one at the small camp store for a $20 deposit plus $12 first night the $2 each night - pay in advance.

Sites are large and clean. My site has trees for shade and a place to hang my hammock. But the park officials made me take it down :(.

Water hookup but no electricity on our sites. Water for drinking only was on my site but you can’t connect with a hose to your camper in most of the less expensive sites. There are more expensive sites with full hookups but no Wi-Fi.

Price of my site is very affordable around $20 a night.

I saw 2 dump stations near exit. Supermarkets a few miles down the road.

Easy to walk to the beach. Plan to kayak. There is a boat launch at Meig’s Point where you can drive 100 feet from the water to unload from your car. Lovely small beaches, walkways and jetties for fishing or photos of nature.

On the shore camping

This is great if you like the beach

Best of all worlds beach camping

Beautiful Connecticut beach sits just steps away from your campsite. Well kept showers and bathrooms are abundant and the camp store has the majority of what you need. You can ride your bike from your site to the playground, store, beach, local ice cream shop, coffee shop, or our family favorite, meig’s point nature center. We make it a point to spend at least a week here every summer!

Nice family place

Good family campground with access to the ocean. No fire pits in the ground but you can bring your own ($50 on Amazon) or rent one (bring cash). I've done tent camping here in the summer but don't know much about the RV side, although I believe they have dump stations and such. Restrooms and showers are pretty good too, but typical campground bathrooms. 4 stars cuz I'm not a huge fan of the beaches, if I could give 4.9 stars I would.

Simply the best!

The Preserve Club and Residences is a members/owners only community which is New England's most amenity rich properties, in fact it may be the only place in the world that has such a diverse amount of outdoor offerings.  Check it out.

Decent camping

Very convenient if you want to go to the beach every day, but the campsite itself is very busy and crowded, usually with a lot of families and kids. Can’t use hammocks here, and you need to rent a fire pit. Nice if you want the location, but not the best for actual camping