The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Round Mountain , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Round Mountain Camping Reviews
Juniper Lake (non group)

The smaller sites at Juniper Lake are first come first serve, unlike the group sites that can be reserved.  Over the last few years the popularity of Juniper Lake has grown and it is difficult to find a spot on weekends, but early to mid week there's a pretty good chance you can find a spot. If you're lucky enough to get a spot on the lake you'll have one of the most beautiful camping spots in Northern California with an epic view of Mt. Lassen.  There are a couple of good day hikes nearby as well.  Typically camping here is tent camping, but if you have a smaller trailer like a tent trailer or Rpod you might be able to get it in. There are no RV hook ups.

Nice sites but limited activities

The campsites are well spaced and have full hookups and a nice table and fire ring. It has lake front, kayak rentals, and a mini golf course. It does not have trails for biking or hiking, or a good place to go running. For hiking, check out Inks Lake state park.

First Stop - Joshua Tree

This is always our first stop when we go to Joshua Tree.  It has all services as well as a little Visitor Center.  There is water here so we use it to stage going into the main park for the first come fist served sites the next day and to make sure we have enough water for those campgrounds which have no water.

I am a tent camper. Beware, the wind can roar through here so stake out your tent.  For tent sites there are some sites that are open without shade or cover. So choose your site well. ALso try to get there at least once when the Joshua Trees are in bloom.

There is a nice hiking trail at the rear of the campground and a mountain/hill to climb.  Nice views from the top.

Also a nice place to watch the sunset or even the sunrise.  Star gazing is a plus as well.

Next to a beautiful lake

If you enjoy privacy and a very secluded campground this is it. We stayed at group site A. This site is amazing is right next to the lake I haven’t stayed at a more beautiful site. The only downside that I didn’t like was that there wasn’t a camp host. Having a camp host always gives me a little bit of ease especially in an area with no service, deep in the forest, and stores are more than 20 minutes away. For others they might love this but to each their own! Unfortunately the time we stayed it began to snow, and no other campers were staying in the sites. It was pretty much all to ourselves. We stayed there in late September 2019. Mother Nature never ceases to surprise me. But overall I definitely keep this bookmarked because it is so beautiful! Lassen in general has great hiking trails with many views, you got to visit bumpass hell if you go.

Beautiful campground in every direction you

This was the first time I was camping in this type of terrain, I normally am near large bodies of water and or National Forest(s). But arriving at Joshua tree was unbelievable! A huge factor when it comes to camping is always the time of year and I made sure to make reservations during spring to see the wild flowers and get good weather. I arrived the second week of March in 2019. During the day it was in the low 70s and by sunset we got low 40s. The sunsets were nothing I had ever seen before, and the night sky was lit with stars. You can see so much of the sky here because it’s so open, which was a huge change for me always being surrounded by trees. The campsites were nicely spaced apart and we had a good amount of room at our site. The bathrooms were super clean and well maintained. Although there isn’t a camp store in the campground, stores were right outside the area (7 minutes away). There’s service here also because it is pretty close to neighborhoods.

Simple

As of May 2019, the camp was closed to the public due to safety hazards. Otherwise, it's an ok site. Bear boxes, composting toilet, trash bins, picnic table, and a fire ring. There's a trail that leads down to the creek.

Decent Campground, But Not in Heart of Park

To get to Black Rock Campground in Joshua Tree, you have to take a separate road into it from Yucca Valley. So if you are planning on spending a lot of time in the park and don't want to drive back and forth, this probably isn't a good choice for you. There's running water and flushing toilets in the bathroom. Views overlook the valley below, which is nice at night. Not a lot of shade. After all, this is a desert campground, with desert plants. Picnic tables and a fire pit. Flat places to lay a tent. Some trails go off from the campground. We chose to drive into the park. This was a good place to introduce my friend to his first camping experience. We ended up going into town (pretty close) for dinner. (Cheaters, I know!) The other plus about this campground is it's one of few that take reservations in Joshua Tree. So if you don't like knowing whether you have a site or not, you can be certain you'll have one when you arrive here if you make a reservation.

first but not the last

first time camping and will not be the last.

camp ground is nice and clean!

view of the night sky is also wonderful!

can't wait to cone back.

Comfortable and Close to Joshua Tree National Park

Four of us stayed at 060 Loop A, which was near a bathroom, but not close enough to be a bother. It was very spacious compared to some of the other spots- we weren't on top of other camp sites, and we had beautiful views. Best of all, it was only 5-10 min drive into Joshua Tree. We stayed here instead of in the national park so we were free to have a few drinks. Would stay at this spot, and this location again.

Close to Joshua Tree

Stayed here one night when the park was full. Short drive to the park and easy to get to the main grocery stores. The sites are not very shady and there is not too much privacy but overall it's a nice place and the bathrooms are very clean. It also has an equestrian campground attached.