The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Chico , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Chico Camping Reviews
Nice sites but limited activities

The campsites are well spaced and have full hookups and a nice table and fire ring. It has lake front, kayak rentals, and a mini golf course. It does not have trails for biking or hiking, or a good place to go running. For hiking, check out Inks Lake state park.

Strict rules but clean facilities

If you need a place to stop and sleep and nothing else, this is your place! Clean bathrooms in the remodeled facility,easy pull through spots fitting both big rvs and little vans like mine. Hot and windy, but very quiet little park and didn't hear highway at all.

First Stop - Joshua Tree

This is always our first stop when we go to Joshua Tree.  It has all services as well as a little Visitor Center.  There is water here so we use it to stage going into the main park for the first come fist served sites the next day and to make sure we have enough water for those campgrounds which have no water.

I am a tent camper. Beware, the wind can roar through here so stake out your tent.  For tent sites there are some sites that are open without shade or cover. So choose your site well. ALso try to get there at least once when the Joshua Trees are in bloom.

There is a nice hiking trail at the rear of the campground and a mountain/hill to climb.  Nice views from the top.

Also a nice place to watch the sunset or even the sunrise.  Star gazing is a plus as well.

Everything we wanted! Solitude and nature.

The campgrounds is small, which was perfect. A total of 19 spaces, but on a Sunday night there were only 5 filled spaces. Trees and birds! Chipmunks! Walking trails connect to the campground! What a delight and right near Bucks Lake!

It is bear country, and the campsite was visited by a bear at night. Just one night, when the night before the dumpsters were emptied. The bear messed with the campground dumpster but left everything else alone.  All the garbage goes into bear proof dumpsters. Don't leave it out in cans. Those are labeled PLASTIC and CANS.  Just do what they say- and keep your food stuffed locked up. Head the warnings- right? The bear, after speaking to the host, is well known locally. They have watched it grow up.

Someone reviewed poorly because of vault toilets. Maybe they have never been camping. Vault toilets are very common and a non-issue. Sure they don't smell like an indoor bathroom- but these were serviced every day! Not a concern. They work for what you need them to do. And there was even toilet paper stocked!

No good!

Bathrooms had a horrific smell, trash overflowed the receptacles all four days we were there; not to mention the huge “bear country” signs to make sure trash is properly disposed of, but the ranger just drove by it multiple times with her truck bed empty. It’s right by the main road/interstate; large trees are placed in front of the camp area..I’m assuming so a car will hit the tree and offer sometime of protection?! Yikes. We made the best of it but we will not be back. I’ve heard of other great sites around bucks lake and will be sure to check those for the future.

Nice little spot

We enjoyed a pull thru full hookup spot. We had our dogs and 5 year old with us. There was a fair amount of space between sites. We all enjoyed a meal at the steak house. After we let mama gamble as my daughter and I enjoyed the arcade, then we switched. If we need to get away for a night, I can see us coming back here again.

Beautiful campground in every direction you

This was the first time I was camping in this type of terrain, I normally am near large bodies of water and or National Forest(s). But arriving at Joshua tree was unbelievable! A huge factor when it comes to camping is always the time of year and I made sure to make reservations during spring to see the wild flowers and get good weather. I arrived the second week of March in 2019. During the day it was in the low 70s and by sunset we got low 40s. The sunsets were nothing I had ever seen before, and the night sky was lit with stars. You can see so much of the sky here because it’s so open, which was a huge change for me always being surrounded by trees. The campsites were nicely spaced apart and we had a good amount of room at our site. The bathrooms were super clean and well maintained. Although there isn’t a camp store in the campground, stores were right outside the area (7 minutes away). There’s service here also because it is pretty close to neighborhoods.

Nice place to have dinner too.

Easy off and on freeway access, next to casino.

Nice campground in the forest

Pretty spot with 7 camp sites between a meadow and creek, nestled in a grove of beautiful olds growth trees. Each site has a table and fire pit with a grill over top. There's not much space between sites so noise could be an issue but I was the only one there so it was very pleasant. The small creek on one side of the campground is beautiful and audible from 3 sites which is a big plus. There are 3 equestrian sites. There is also a sign that says it will become a pay site next year (2020) which is upsetting because it's a very simple campground with few amenities. There is a pit toilet/outhouse. It's a great place to sleep if you're looking for a rustic site. I gave 4 stars because it's not the most amazing site but I'd definitely stay here again.

Rustic clean free

Forest Service campground in Plumas NF I’ve stayed at several times when exploring the area. About 9 miles from Quincy and 2-3 off highway. Free. Fire rings (need annual campfire permit, free at park offices) and bear boxes. Outhouses. No water apart from lake (generally overgrown). Large clear sites with plenty of space between them. Forested area, dirt roads. Equestrian sites available.