About Ashurst Lake Campgrounds

Good fishing and excellent views of the San Francisco Peaks characterize these two lakeside campgrounds. Ashurst Lake camping is stocked with trout, bass, and channel catfish, and boasts enough wind for windsurfing.

Both campgrounds hug the lakeshore with campsites huddled in a picturesque stand of gnarly old juniper trees and pinyon pines. One of Ashurst Lake's most notable characteristics is it ability to hold a high water level in drought years. That can be very important here in northern Arizona where less resilient lakes sometimes dry up.

In addition to fishing and board sailing, the lake offers excellent opportunities for birdwatching during the spring waterfowl migration. For a special treat look for white-faced ibises grazing in the shallows along with the cinnamon teal, pintails and other ducks. Bald eagles and osprey can also be seen in the area, along with a number of species of hawks and songbirds.

A graveled road to the lake and graveled road that surrounds most of the lake provides convenient access for most passenger vehicles and bicycles. Rustic gravel and “two-track” roads in the area offer some great opportunities to mountain bike or walk out into the surrounding juniper/ponderosa mixed forest for some wildlife viewing and open spaces. The San Francisco Peaks stand majestically on the horizon providing a grand display of Arizona’s volcanic past.

USDA Forest Service
Ashurst Lake Campgrounds is located in Arizona
9 Reviews of Ashurst Lake Campgrounds
Small campground

Really close to the lake. Smaller sites.

Had a blast out in Flagstaff

Went climbing out at the Pit in Flagstaff for the day, then we came and camped out not too far away! The site had plenty of trees for hammocks, as well as tent sites. It was easy to access for not just 4x4 vehicles and was a nice and quick drive from the main road.

Okay lakeside camping

The reviews I read of Ashurst had me pretty excited about enjoying a calm, quiet, lakeside campsite. We brought the canoe, arrived around 11:30 and found the place packed. There is a decent 5-7 mile stretch of washboard road to get there, you can get there in a car, its not like off-roading but it may rattle some bolts loose! The sites before the actual lake campgrounds were super packed, full of RVs with toys from off-road buggies to dirt bikes. We happened to catch a spot just as one family was beginning to leave. It was a short walk to the water, but not ON the water's edge and many of the sites were not, they were on the other side of the road you drive in on. There were all kinds of campers, from the casual tent and a few supplies kinda campers to people with three truck loads and a trailer of everything they could fit in a campsite and set up a full patio and grill.

Once you find a campsite the ranger comes by and you pay them for your spot, $19 for the site, $8 for an additional vehicle on the site, there are 5 of us. We ended up in spot 8, which actually had three good tent spots! The firepit is awesome, well surrounded by rocks and there is a solid picnic table included too. It's July and campfires are currently allowed. Site 8 is right by a row of port-a-potty's and bit drinkable water tank.

We canoed and fished in the evening, the people fishing next to us caught 5 fairly small fish from the shore and I never caught a thing. By the time we got back to the tent for the evening there was a fairly constant noise from surrounding campsites, from kids screaming to dogs barking, to the continuous hum of the offered buggies dusting the campsites as they drove in and out.

I think for a campsite as a whole it has everything you need, its pretty clean, the porte-potties weren't terrible and were stocked with TP, but it wasn't what I was looking for in terms of secluded, quiet wilderness. Everyone else was a little too close for comfort.

If you forget your firewood, cash (they only accept cash), drinks etc. there is a little country store just by the entrance to the lower- Lake Mary entrance day-use area. We went down there for cash and firewood.

Small, quiet and picturesque skies

The road in can usually be traveled without 4x4 but it doesn't hurt. The campground is small but there's another just by if it's full. This is a fishing lake not a swimming one so leave your suits at home and enjoy a nature walk or campfire in peace and quiet. Campsites are decent size and just enough privacy but all a short walk to restroom. Beware of the steep boat ramp. The skies when you're out there look like a painting!

Beautiful scenic lake

We showed up pretty late but had a blast trying to light a non traditional fire, come up with clever ways to roast marshmallows and cooking on the fire.

Loved that we went off season we made friends with a puppy. Over all great experience a little cold but the stars were worth it

Beautiful scenic lake

Camping and hiking at Ashurst lake

I recently went for a weekend camping trip to Ashurst Lake. It is only 20 miles from my home so that made it even better! It is an absolutely beautiful area. Campsites are clean and some offer semi-privacy. Staff is friendly and helpful. The water is a mesmerizing blue. While there I saw my first Bald Eagle! There were 2 of them fighting over a fish! Amazing sight to see! My dogs had a blast too! We plan on returning soon!

One of my favorites

This is one of my favorite places to go when I only have a few days to get away. I love to kayak and fish on the lake. Waking to elk bugling is icing on the cake for me, can't wait to go back again.

Dispersed camping at ashurst lake

Although it was a holiday weekend and there were a whole lot of people there it was a beautiful spot and we had an amazing weekend highly recommend the dispersed camping in northern,arizona