About Potters Creek Park

Potters Creek Park is situated on the northern shore of Canyon Lake in the rolling hill country of South Central Texas. Cool breezes off the lake create a pleasant environment for relaxing in this scenic area. The lake and Guadalupe River also provide great opportunities for boating, fishing and swimming.

Recreation

Visitors enjoy coming to Canyon Lake for boating, swimming and fishing. The Guadalupe River is a great location for canoeing, kayaking and tubing. Both the lake and river are stocked with a variety of fish for each habitat including various bass, catfish, or river trout. Hiking, biking, horseback riding, birding, and wildlife viewing are popular activities in the surrounding hills. Five trails are available at different locations around the lake. There is a mountain biking trail, a horse trail, and several foot trails. You can not rent any items from the park, but must bring your own gear for all recreational activities.

Facilities

The park is open year-round and offers RV and tent sites as well as overnight screened shelters, and a group site, all with electric and water hookups. Every site has a picnic table, fire ring, and grill, water and electricity. Park Amenities include flush toilets, showers, drinking water, and two dump stations. The park also has two boat ramps with docks, a fishing pier and beach. Rangers patrol the park and hosts are on-site year-round.

Natural Features

The park is settled among Juniper and native Oaks on gently sloping terrain on the shore of Canyon Lake. Thick oak and juniper surround the upper campsites; sites closer to the waterfront are in full sun. Grassy fields of native hill country plants and wildflowers dot the landscape. Rocky outcroppings are scattered throughout the park.

Nearby Attractions

Canyon Lake is near many sites of interest including Natural Bridge Caverns and the historic town of Gruene in New Braunfels.

Charges & Cancellations

The reservation system has the right to charge you fees for shortening or extending your stay, or cancelling a reservation.

ADA Access: N

50 amp Hookups
Max Length: 60 ft.
Potters Creek Park is located in Texas
Directions
From IH-35 take FM-306 West 23 miles to Potter's Creek Road. Go south 2 miles to park entrance. From Highway 281, take FM-306 east 8 miles to Potter's Creek Road. Go south for 2 miles to park entrance.
6 Reviews of Potters Creek Park
Rude employees

et me start this by saying that the park is beautiful but the reason we will not be returning and we will pay to go elsewhere is a particular employee. She is an older lady with chin length gray hair who was so unbelievably rude to us!!! We had already been staying at the park for a day and had our car tagged. We had left for the day and when we came back, the gate was open. We stopped at the stop sign and looked inside and no one was there and we went through the gate and next thing we hear a woman screaming at us and when we backed up and started rolling down the window, she literally yelled for my husband to put on a mask, which he did with no problem and then she yelled this is a federal park and you can’t just come in and my husband nicely said “yes ma’am we have a reservation” and he pointed at our car tag and she rudely goes well I didn’t see it and there is a stop sign for a reason and my husband says well the gate was up and I did stop at the stop sign and we looked in and no one was there and she rudely goes “well the gate is broken and I was washing my hands” and then storms off. Not once was my husband rude to this lady. If your gate is broke and you want people to do more than just stop at your stop sign and you want them to wait to be waved in, then put a sign. There are a ton of other handwritten signs at the gate house. There was no reason for us to be treated that way. I’m so very disappointed in this place.

great park at the canyon lake

many parks around canyon lake, this has been here awhile.

Hammock Camping

This is seriously one of my favorite places to be. My cousins and I decided to take some hammocks out to Canyon Lake and do some grilling, swimming, and chilling. We had a ton of fun and the weather was perfect to sleep under the trees. Highly recommend. Make sure you get there early because it gets busy quickly.

The Time of My Life

I spent two weeks here with my husband 18 years ago. We had the best time, & we've been back many times since. Everything here is fantastic; the warm water, the playful deer, the bright sunshine, the even brighter stars, & the cool breeze in the evenings! We've seen this park grow & improve over time. I highly recommend this gem!