Standard (Tent/RV)
RVs and Trailers
No Sanitary Dump
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
“The Wall” Dispersed camping just outside Badlands is located in Badlands National Park in South Dakota
20 Reviews of “The Wall” Dispersed camping just outside Badlands
Wow!

Free! Best views in Bad Lands NP! Free! Great cell signal! Oh, it’s free, too! Best spot I’ve stayed in the past week, no bad spots to be found! A must-do place to boondock if you are passing thru!

SCARY WINDY BUT BEAUTIFUL

Ok…. it is really pretty, especially the sunsets and sunrises but we got stuck out here in a wind storm and I swear to god I spent half the night crying in our truck because I thought the camper was going to YEET off the side of the wall. It’s terrifying, check the weather, very very dusty, we hated it. But, it’s pretty.

Beautiful veiws. Heavy winds

No facilities. Meaning toilets, water or electric. ATT phone service was strong and had no problems. Great location close to the Badlands entrance. This is a doable spot without a 4x4 vehicle, although it makes it much easier. Some pretty big ruts and rocks along the dirt road. Regardless of when you actually get there you will be able to find a good spot, there are probably over 80. With a decent distance between each. As expected you are in top of the plains with nothing to cover so expect some heavy gusts.

Very cool spot with great view but not great for tent campers.

I decided to check this place out since I love dispersed camping. Getting here is easy - just head south from Wall and you'll see it on the left when you see the radio towers. Little dirt road heads out to it.

Long stretch, and when I was there, lots and lots of RV campers, but no tent campers. Why? Two main reasons from what I can gather: extremely windy, and as a result, no fires. I don't know if it's actually a rule that you can't have fires here, but at least when I was there, you wouldn't want to try and manage a fire here anyway, even if you could throw together a decent stone fire pit. The wind is just too intense and the entire area is really dry.

Another issue: the wind could easily result in you losing some of your tent equipment if you're not careful when you're setting it up and making sure it can't blow away. When I was there the wind was gusting toward the edge, so if you did have some of your stuff blow away, getting it back could be a real pain in the ass. Needless to say, if you are going to tent camp here - and it is definitely doable - stake it down well and be double-careful when setting up not to lose anything.

People mentioned goats in some reviews, and sure enough, I bumped into a small group of them. Seemed pretty harmless and quite used to humans hanging around.

The sunrise and sunset are supposed to be stunning, which I unfortunately did not have time to stay to confirm. Would definitely plan on a sunrise / sunset viewing if I find myself in this area again and the timing is right.

All in all, a cool spot, but it's gonna be a bit of a doozy for the tent campers if it's half as windy as it was when I was there.

Oh, and for you hammock lovers - not a tree in sight. Good luck! ;)

can’t beat the views

lots of people know about this place so to snag a good spot get there no later than 4pm. super windy so I don’t know how well tents would hold up, both other than that it’s so worth the views! come prepared, there’s no bathrooms.

Beautiful!!

Loved it!!! Gorgeous views, easily accessible, plenty of space from other campers.

Definitely a top 10!

We pulled in at night on a weekend so there were quite a few other people camping along the edge of this vast darkness. We didn’t know what to expect. When the sun started to rise we never looked to the left or the right again. The other campers were of no concern, we could not take our eyes off the amazing view that we didn’t know was coming with the morning light. We were about 30 feet from the next camper, but if we were squished in their shoulder to shoulder it wouldn’t even matter the view is breathtaking!!!

The only thing I could say wasn’t convenient: there are no bathrooms and absolutely no privacy so I hope you have a way to use the bathroom and make it a private activity.

Camping on the edge

This is a dispersed BLM area. It is easy to locate just take the hwy from Wall SD 5.5 miles toward the Badlands Park entrance. When you see the cell towers to onto the dirt road on the left.

I camped there on a Sunday night in September and there were lots of other campers there already at 2 pm. The area filled up as the day went on. See the pic that I added.

This is a beautiful spot and it was good to connect with the other campers. There are big horn sheep herds that will climb the walls and walk among the campers to graze on the flatland grass in the mornings.

Wow

These spots are amazing. My Honda Odyssey had a little trouble making it up the dirt path, but it was so worth it. We stayed for two nights and felt very safe. A lot of people staying there but everyone was very distanced highly recommend!!!!!

Humbling and awesome place!

As others have said in so many words, Wow!!  If the stark beauty of this place doesn’t blow you away, the wind might! The sheer force of it was humbling.

This is a dispersed camping site located on a ledge overlooking the Badlands. This configuration makes for some serious winds which are evidenced in the rock that’s been sculpted in the area.

The location is about 6 miles south of Wall, SD, but make sure to get the GPS coordinates.  The drive into the dispersed camping area is on a gravel service road which was doable for my 24’ class C (see video), but I took it very slowly because there are rutted areas. This spot is convenient to lots of attractions in the area. Many folks with toads would safely leave their RV’s during the day to go and sightsee.

My favorite memories:  the hiking and star gazing!

My not so favorite memory: while stargazing in flip flops something bit my big toe and drew blood. It was the screech heard round SD! NOTE: Wear closed toed shoes and don’t park too close to the edge.