Equestrian
Contact
Sully Creek State Recreation Area is located in North Dakota
5 Reviews of Sully Creek State Recreation Area
Peaceful and Close to Trails

This is a more affordable campsite that many people forget about when they go to Medora. This site is cost effective and beautiful!

Back to Basics

I think I have found my favorite campground. Has 3 section one I think is for larger campers though there are only about 10 sites. Another is for horses and has corrals with the sites. The one I stayed in is for smaller campers. Quiet and primative with others that wanted to get back to nature. Not one single generator!! Sites are shaded and private.

Decent views, RV heavy.

Nice little spot only ten minutes from Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Lots of RV traffic which comes with lots of generator noise.

Pit toilets, and a shower house that gives you eight minutes for $1. Sites are reservable and cost $12 a night but there is a day use fee of $7 that is not included in the site fee. $19 a night unless you have a ND state parks pass. Tent sites have lots of shade and the RV and equestrian areas are pretty exposed.

Close to Theodore Roosevelt NP and right on the Maah Daah Hey Trail

I didn’t have a spot in the National Park so this was next. The park is right on the horse and hiking trail so I thought we could take advantage.

The sign in was confusing. Be sure to stop at the ranger station before entering the campground. The ranger set me up with a site that was out in the open. There are some shaded sites but they fill up. Another camper told me that many didn’t show up because of the rain storms.

There is plenty of space between sites even if it’s in the open. Water is available throughout the campground. Vault toilets are in three spots but it’s quite a long walk to get to them. There is a shower house near the front. I didn’t expect to pay for showers but the site is only $12 so another $1 is fine.

This was an ok spot for us. I would try some of the other primitive campgrounds next time. We loved being close the the NP and the town of Medora.

Sully Creek State Park

Gorgeous park. Very small with limited camping spots. The Little Missouri River is right here and the trailheads for the Maah Daah Hey Trail and Maah Daah Hey II (The Deuce) are in this tiny park as well. Great views of the surrounding badlands, exceptional horse and hiking trails. A variety of amenities are offered incuding some electrical, water, pay showers and vaulted toilets and horse corrals. No paved roads. Very close to Medora.